World Record Paddlefish on Rod & Reel

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    World record Paddlefish caught in Kansas Atchison`s watershed dam #7.
    The fish was caught by Clinton Boldridge on Carp bait May 5-2004.
    It weighted 144 lbs - 75 inches long 45 1/4 girth.
    pic from internet.
    Ace :0a23:

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I saw it on E-bay last year. He was trying to sell it. The opening bid was 30,000. I watched it run twice with no bids, not sure if it was re-listed and sold after that or not. I E-mail him and he told me the story about catching it. Since it was caught in the mouth and not snagged he was able to keep it.

3. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    I remember that story last year.Seems like some of the story was a little bit iffy:crying: :confused: Oh,well.How was he allowed to sell it?For a mount,meat,I'm confused.(which is normal)

4. Cataholic

Cataholic Guest

I think that's some kind of hoax, Paddlefish/Spoonbill are vegetarians. Course there's the exception to the rule!

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    He had it froze and wanted to retain the record rights. He also wanted a replica made for himself. I questioned the whole deal too but I guess the record stood. My guess is its still in his freezer LOL. You can't sucessfully do a live mount, too much cartlidge in there bill and it will extract oils. I have people do replicas.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    One of our members new the guy pretty well, and he said it was the real deal. Nobody believes it took the bait, really, but it could have sucked it in with a gulp of water. It was from a fairly small lake / pond, and the guess was that it had been in there for years, growing bigger and bigger.

7. drc3

drc3 New Member

State:
    Cleveland TN
    Iv'e personnaly seen them hooked in the mouth a few times. I sure they were swimming with their mouths open and the bait and hook just happen to get in there. It's called a freak fishing accident.

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    They are caught on trout lines and rod and reel around here often.
    As you said they have there mouth open filtering for food and get hooked up.
    Young spoonbill will actually feed on worms and other food stuff to a certain age and filter for plankton after that.