World Record - Maybe

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AwShucks, May 25, 2006.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    But I thought you had to catch it by yourself with no help. No one touching the pole or line. Maybe I'm wrong - again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fla. angler lands what may be record shark 46 minutes ago

BOCA GRANDE, Fla. - Fishing Capt. Bucky Dennis has been trying to catch a record hammerhead shark for 10 years. He may have finally succeeded.

On Tuesday, he reeled in a monstrous 1,280-pounder that ate a 25-pound stingray for bait at Boca Grande Pass near Fort Myers. That would beat by nearly 300 pounds the current all-tackle world record for a hammerhead shark.

Dennis, who was using 130-pound test line, and three friends fought the 14 1/2 foot shark for five hours and it dragged his boat about 12 miles offshore before they got it aboard.

"It's fun hooking them, but if you get too close, they will bite," Dennis said. "And whatever they bite, they will bite off."

The current all-tackle world record hammerhead is 991 pounds, caught May 30, 1982, by Allen Ogle of Punta Gorda, according to the International Game Fish Association. The organization is reviewing the latest catch to determine if it qualifies as the new record, a process that will take about 60 days.

The Port Charlotte fishing captain donated the big fish to the Center for Shark Research at Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota, which plans to have it mounted and displayed. Center director Robert Hueter said researchers prefer that people tag and release large sharks because they help sustain the species.

"But we are grateful that this animal has been donated to science. It will help us understand more about these animals," Hueter said.

The largest shark ever hooked was a 2,664-pound great white caught off the southern coast of Australia in 1959.

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    that is one big hammerhead!!!!
    i have seen some little ones, but nothing close to that size

what a rush that must have been - a hammerhead looks like no other fish - those eyes at the ends of the hammer are spooky:eek:oooh:

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Wow, big shark. Here is the pic of it

Attached Files:

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    What I wondered Aw Shucks is what the proper way to hook a 25lb. bait? They did not spend much time telling us about that part. Took his boat out 11 miles, I think we could give part of that to the ray...here comes that shark.
    Don

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    That is one big shark, thanks for sharing.

Not sure of the rules on being a new record.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That is awesome, but i just dont understand one thing...It seems like when fishing for sharks, the philosophy is...Catch a shark, kill a shark... I think they should have let it go free, do you know how old that thing probably was.

7. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Here we go again. :roll_eyes:

I would think it would be very hard to get something that big and mean out of the water and weigh it on a certified scale (to claim the world record) and release it. Not only hard but very dangerous!

8. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    its not just the big ones, the shows i see on ESPN, or outdoor channel, they kill all of them...then pose next to them like trophies

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Shucks, they even killed jaws...although I can see why. LOL

10. kyblue49

kyblue49 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i have recently seen catch and release shark shows. they are more man than i am.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Yeah i have seen that one too, they just reel the shark up to the side of the boat and measure it, then they release it...I think it is called, Shark Hunters...it is a cool show

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I saw one fishing show where the woman on board broke the igfa record for rooster fish but it was dq'd cause the deck hand had to help hold the rod up for her. she was too worn out from the fight. all she could do it reel it in and he held the rod up for her. I dont thin they'll allow it since there was 3 of them working this fish.

13. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is a huge shark. We have been shark fishing out of South Carolina before with my family and had a great time and released everything. We caught a bunch of small 5-15 lb, reef sharks I think they were we brought them in and let them go (Very carefully I might add, even though they are small they could take a good chunk outta your leg), Then we went for the big boys the first year I caught a 100lb bull shark and the second year we went back one that went about 250. We brought them to the back of the boat got as much of a measurement we could and the guide estimated the weights. I was a blast! But there is no was Id bring somethin like that in the boat!

14. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    This is not true as now if you fish shark turnes they are all catch and release with point deducted if you can not get the hook out.

15. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    now let me get my mind wraped around this fish picture.

Someone took a picture of a world record fish and decided not to show the fish. just a head.

WOW

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    The few sharks sport fishermen kill is just a drop in the bucket compared to the chinese, ( and other) commercial fishermen who kill them for their fins.

17. Cat King

Cat King New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That hammerhead was a monster, how they reeled that in, I never know:eek:oooh:

18. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    yea the commercial boats catch the sharks cut the fins off then illegally just throw the rest of the shark back into the water! if a few record sharks are brought in then OK but 1000's of sharks die everyday for their fins.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    GOD gave men dominion over all the fishes in the seas and animals on land. It didn't say he gave them the intelligence, wisdom, or compassion to deal with this awsome power.

20. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    When you fight something that big for that long, usually they are not going to live. It really does take alot out of them. We use to fish for shark in CA for meat, They are fantastic eating but we only caught what we were going to eat.