World Record Flathead Catfish..

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ky_Katter91, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Pretty interesting topic, and I don't know if this has been posted before, or not, kinda figure it has... but anyway..
    Where do you think the next world record flathead will be caught and do you think it will just clip the current record or are you predicting the record to be smashed? (150 pounds, etc)..
    Will it be caught by someone targeting this fish, or will it be caught by accident such as the "panfisherman"?
    Should make an interesting topic, lets here it catters!

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    any lake in the southern US has a chance to grow a world record because of the longer growing season. And i would say the Ohio river, Tennessee, mississippi have a great chance

3. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I myself am really favoring the Markland pool of the Ohio, I've been scouting the area out a little bit here recently, and doing a bit of online homework...
    Plenty of forage, deep water, so0o0o much cover. plenty of feeder creeks, just perfect habitat for holding a monster. I honestly think the record will be shattered by a 150+ fish caught by someone who really spends a lot of time fishing for the trophy flatties.

4. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I dont know much about the Cumberland, but I could definitely see it coming from the Mississippi.

5. mcseal2

mcseal2 Active Member

State:
    Kansas
    I wouldn't rule out the lakes in Kansas, the current record came from a lake in KS not many people would put in the top 10 in the state for flathead. I would not be surprised to see John Redman produce a record, or really any of the Kansas lakes. I think there are quite a few fish out there that are record size, but the size forage they are after is probably not what most people want to, or legally can use for bait. Also if catch and release of 50lb plus fish continues to spread the odds will improve with time. Look at Dsage's post in the KS local talk from a little while back, 100 years ago quite a few fish of this size were caught. I really believe many of the states have 150lb fish to be caught.

6. bigd4xman

bigd4xman New Member

State:
    Haysville, KS
    I would say a lake or river here in eastern Kansas, probably will be caught by someone fishing for channel or primarily after flatheads. The Verdigris, Walnut, Neosho, or Fall River or any lakes or spillways in these river systems have been known to hold some HUGE fish and all have plenty of cover, feeder creeks, meuddy bottoms and riffles which all amount to a great area for fish, also all of these rivers have a lake in the system somewhere that could also produce large flatheads.

7. Mr. Foster

Mr. Foster New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will go with Kansas too, for all mentioned above. I cant really add much more than that, except dont forget the Arkansas.

8. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm going to catch it in the Ohio river! It will be 140ish :smile2:

9. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i fish the cumburland river at smithland ky. i catch all my blues in that sweet water, but i,ve seen some flattys go 100lb plus. buy comarcial fisherman.

10. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Kansas did kind of slip my mind, kinda hard to rule it out when the current record came from there.

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    im betting that a ton of these lakes we think have no 50 ors 60 in have 90s and 100s in them, and on top of that they are wary as can be and probably die of old age before we get em..but im gonna try..with my 808 and red horse minner..everybody likes appetizers

12. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    Jeffrodamis has a very good point. Makes me want to hit the local lakes I've been inquiring about a little harder besides just hitting the Ohio specifically.
    Anybody else want to chime in on this topic?

13. buckethead

buckethead New Member

State:
    arkansas

hey !!!!!!!!!!!

be sure and dont forget your 1/4 oz. Crappie Jig when you go :smile2:

14. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    It'll come out of some smaller lake or other body of water in the midwest...Kansas, Arkansas, etc. Some place that doesn't have any population of blue cats, where flatheads are the only real predator, and some place that has a ton of forage species. :wink:

Flatheads grow so much more slowly than blues or channels, to break the record, it'll be a fish that's a genetic freak. 50lb fish tend to be more than 30 or 40 years old. It's the main reason that a 50lb flathead is such a HUGE deal to the people that fish for them. They are really a lot more rare than people realize. That would mean that a fish that's more than 130lbs could have the potential to be more than 75 years old or more. I'm not even sure if the lifespan of the flathead has the potential to be that long.

15. rwg

rwg New Member

State:
    WICHITA, KANSAS
    Flathead= kansas, home of the current record, but i have my doubts about that one, i don't think most fishermen use bait big enough to intrest the monsters. but, then again if we realy do have flats in our resvors that are as big as cars, why don't they ever die of old age and float up ?
    channels = any midwest lake or pond
    blue cats = laker texoma saw a blue that was 112 caught on a jug and shad this spring in febuary thats my 2 cents worth RWG

16. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I think that they certainly get that big. They are just hard to target, much less get to the boat given that they probably aren't going to be far from the biggest nastiest snag in the whole water body. They used to get that big on a fairly regular basis so they can certainly get there again. I do agree that it would be a genetic freak but all big fish are genetic freaks, that's the main reason there are much fewer large fish vs small fish of a given species. The flathead only systems certainly would have an advantage b/c they wouldn't have to compete with the blues and such for food and it would almost have to come from a southern state b/c of the longer growing season. Whatever the case the record will be broken eventually and I just hope that I'm around to see it brought down b/c I still don't believe for a minute that the current record is legit....

17. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    MO river due to the influx of the bighead carp providing another food source. Also severl 70 to 80+ flats are caught every year and never turned in as a record on the MO river. I know a old man who has goten 3 flatheads over 90 and he dont give a crap about being in a recored book. MY pb flatt 65 lbs came out of the MO river to boot. Second choice would be Lake of the Ozarks Due to its a older lake lotsa food deep as all get out and huge enough to promote the growth of true monster flats below warsaw dam in the no fishing and no boating Zone my fellow BOC MO members would luv to fish again incuding me. The 900 yard zone right below the turbines is flathead nirvana.

18. thecatman

thecatman New Member

State:
    Graham, Texas,
    the next record flathead will be caught in texas or one of the other south central states

19. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    I honestly think it will come out of the Mississippi or Missouri River..Idk about where you guys are but around here In Council Bluffs Iowa Bullheads produce the biggest flatheads so I bet it will come on a bullhead or a green sunfish. Other wise deep in the south is where I think it will come out of if it dont come out of one of the Mighty rivers! That or it will come out of a small lake only bass fisherman fish, it will be some guy throwing a spinner or buzzbait, On like 10lb line!:smile2: But I would love to catch that sucker..Even if I have to start bass fishing all the time:smile2:.

20. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I will have to stick with Kansas I have seen (picture only) one over 100lb this year and heard of several in the 90lb class. I would not rule out one of the smaller Creeks or Rivers here in the state. One of the 90's came from a Creek that most would think was tiny. And it came in less than 2 ft of water. Several of the KS members know the Creek I'm talking about (not naming it due to the Flathead fish off :wink:). Actually the last few KS records came from that area just down stream.