World Record Flathead a Joke?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by FATFLATTIE, Aug 21, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I'm sure we've all seen the picture of the guy holding that massive fish. However, am I the only one that thinks is a total load of horse manure that he caught the thing on a push button reel with 10lb test? I don't care where or how he hooked the thing there is just no way in my mind he caught it on the rod and reel he said he did. I think it was caught on some sort of set line and when he saw it, stuck a hook in it, and called the Game and Fish guys. I just don't believe it for a second. A fish that big is going to be in a nasty log jam, the best one in a particular lake and he's not going to go without a fight so.....there's my little rant:angry: But who am I to judge, I may be completely off here.

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have pondered that very same question many times. Though it sounds unbelievable, the record still stands. Who knows, maybe it was on it's last leg, LOL!!!

3. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Is there any pics of this giant op? I'd like to see one.

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are LOTS of theories about it. Some claim that the guy and his brother used to snag all sorts of big flatheads as they in one certain area. As I recall it was near a spillway or something. I also recall folks say that the fish was almost lifeless when they were snagged, so.........

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Heres a link to the Current IGFA All Tackle World Records. I find it hard to believe he got it in on a Zebco 33 and 12 pound test. If the fish was dead, or ill, I find it even harder to believe as that would involve lifting 123 pounds of "deadweight" off the bottom with 12 pound test. That would be impossible. Anyhow, it IS the reigning all tackle world record. Enjoy..

http://home.earthlink.net/~catfish_billy/id15.html

6. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    Kinda hard to believe. However, I know of an elderly couple who use a similar rig to bring one in about 65lbs. This was a lake of about 20 acres. They were fishing the shallow end so when she wore the fish down enough to get it close the the bank her husband went in the water and brought it in.

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Only GOD and the guys with the Zebco33 really know the truth to this one.:0a14::0a23:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont know is it turth or not, its kind of hard to belive.

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Who's the guys with the Zebco33?

I fished with Zebco 33's and I don't believe I could have landed a fish over 100 pounds with one.

Say it was on it's last leg; even if it died right after taking the bait, I don't think you could bring in 123 pounds of dead weight with a Zebco 33 and 12 pound test line. :confused2:

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think they really brought it in. I think I remember reading about them climbing down and netting it or something like that.

I'm going to do a quick search and see if I can find some of the sites that talk about it.

11. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

if a half dead dog floats by with its mouth open and your crappie jig gets snagged in the lip, you pull it in slowly over a 10min span, would that qualify you for the world record?? it would be nice if such a fish bit a proportionaly sized bait, say a 25lb carp with a 200lb test tuna hook that was 12inches accross, and the guy fought it for 2 hours, finaly dragging it out of the water with the help of every available bystander, it is also just nice to see that such a fish existed regardless of the fine points of such a catch. I think we are at the forefront of a great national sport that will develop. eventualy we may even see sophisticated genetic selection and broodstock programs with managed fisheries that produce such fish on a regular basis. look for example at the channel catfish fishery at selkirk manitoba. catch and release only with barbless hooks, its commonplace to go for a vacation and get 50 fish in the 20-30lb class size! those are channels cats that in many parts of the country just dont get that big!

12. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    must have been a pet fish and swam right up to him.lol

13. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I don't know about this fish, but I seem to remember about 20 or so years ago some guy in the Gulf caught 2 Bull sharks that were aroud 150 pounds each, on a zebco r&r combo, with I think 15 pound test line. I know the reel wasn't a zebco 33, I guess what I'm tryin to say is, anything is possible.

14. catfishking35

catfishking35 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i was bait fishing today and hooked a 15lb pound flathead on a lil zebco wit 6lb test line and it took me forever to get it in. there is no way the guy caught tht thing

15. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Yeah, the record Flathead has a cloud of controversey floating around it! I can't believe it was landed on the Zebco 33 w/ 12# test. There was definetely something quite not right about the whole deal!?!:crazy:

16. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

I would also for compairison mention that there are people who specificaly go out to set line class records. for example light line billfish(swordfish) on light tackle. you can hook up easily enough with monsterous 300+lb fish on light line, then you follow allong side a hooked fish, and before it spooks and takes off running you gaff the fish and pull them into the boat(as the running fish will not be followable with a boat). it seems to me they are in the 2lb test class now(with a 200:1 ratio)! i definitly think that the method is questionable and somewhat non-sporting, but i would also agree that it would be a rush and a challenge to attempt such a feat.

17. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    It was almost dead and the guy snagged it. thats what i have always heard and that is what i'll always believe. that is until one of us breaks that record...its gonna happen! GO BOC!

18. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    Some may remember the 110 pounder caught near chattanooga last year on 10 pound line with a zebco 33. i talked to an eye witness who said the fish swam onto a sand bar and grounded. the boy who caught him and a friend waded in and dragged him to shore. the next day the story was in the paper about the 33 with 10 pound line. the fish was obviously dieing. they may have stuck a hook in it before it died but there was no fight.

19. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont know if he caught it or not I wasnt there. And you know fishermen and their stories!!! So I will tell you one of my own!!! When I was a kid a man had a pond welll it was kinda a lake and he put only carp in it and he fed them like hogs and they grew to the size of hogs. Now this was a pay pond and it cost a dollar to fish. Well I wanted to fish there in the worst way but didnt have a dollar , lot of money back then for a kid to have. Well my neighbor told me if I would clean out his barn and help him bale hay he would take me!!!! Now I was in 7th heaven then it struck me "how was I to do battle with these (whales) with only a 202 and whatever test they put on them back then. I went to my neighbor and told him my dilema. He looked at me and said anyone can "hog" a fish but it is a true fisherman who can coax a fish. The day finally arrived and I hooked into a true monster for me it weighed 32 pounds. I fought (coaxed) it for almost 2 hours!!! I still to this day remember his hog comment and laugh to myself at some "fishermen" rigs. My wife and I love the sport of ultralight fishing. Do I believe it depends if the guy was a hogger or a coaxer.

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    If you want to see some crap look at the saltwater fly rod records.. They chum the fish to the boat then drop the fly into the desired fish's mouth. crank the engine and chase the fish til they get close enough to touch the leader.. YAYYY got a new world record.. total BS been on such boats as the mate and seen it Like hunting on a pay preserve...... no skill involved, just requires enough dollars to buy the critter....sportsman ????? no way !! I would rather (heaven forbid) go bass fishing.:wink: