World record channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by flatheadsteven, Oct 4, 2006.

1. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    has anyone really looked at the world record channel cat?does anyones else think that this is possibly a blue cat mistaked as a channel because it looks more like a blue than a channel.

2. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Steven,
    Based on the picture that is a legitimate question and one that has been debated before on this board. I can only tell you that it was positively identified as a channel catfish at the time by people who definately knew what a big channel looked like...W

3. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    There has been some speculation that it is a blue .

4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, it's at least part channel cat. Not a blue though. The anal fin is rounded. A blue's is longer, more tapered, and squared off. The tail fin bothers me though because it's not forked like a channel or a blue cat. Looks like a flathead tail to me. A guy I know in my home town caught a 68# catfish from his irrigation lake. He called the conservation department and they took the fish for analysis. They told him that it was a hybrid between a blue and a channel, therefore not elegable for a new world record channel cat. They do interbreed occasionally and that fish to me looks like such a hybrid to me but I'm not a biologist. Also, it doesn't look 20# heavier than the 35# blue in my avatar either. May have a window weight in it's gullet.

5. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    anybody got a picture of it?

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I google searched it, but since I am techno-challenged I don't know how to attach it to a thread.

7. CMJ

CMJ Guest

For years the state record channel cat for North Carolina was a flathead until somebody in the n.c. wildlife finally caught it. It was easy to tell by looking at the picture. Now the channel cat record has has been vacant for the last two years. It has to be 20 or more lbs to qualify.

8. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    same here matt i did a search and the second site was a post from the boc by darryl carter (shovelnose) and i also have no idea how to do a link

9. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
  10. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    yep that is the same pic i found it looks like all those bigfoot photos i have seen all grainy and hard to tell what you are looking at but if i had to guess i would say it is a hybrid

11. Bigdan99

Bigdan99 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It is really hard to tell to me from the picture or my computer just has a bad picture.

12. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

i agree its tail looks alot like a flathead tail but has the body of a blue or channel its anal fin doesnt look exactally like a channels would tho but more lik a channel than a blue.idk tho.

13. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    That is definately not a Blue, it is also not a Flathead, I would have to say that it is a channel cat. It is probably just a fat fish.

14. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    thats a big flaty:big_smile:

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Looks like a spawning male channel to me. When male channels spawn their heads swell up like the one pictured. Also, the forked tail becomes less forked as a fish ages from my experience.

16. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    I believe it's a legitimate world record channel cat. Looks more like a channel than anything else. That rounded head is common in older bigger channels.

17. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    hmm It might not be a channel, but Im pretty sure its not a blue or a flathead :lol:

Reminds me of the world record walleye photo debate-
    Most agree its not the record, although Im not implying that about this one.

18. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Wow, that doesn't really look like most channels I've seen..but then again, I've never seen one that big.

19. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I know a better picture would help, but the tail just doesn't look right. grizzly

20. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It is a little strange looking but I kow its not a Blue or a Flat.. so it must be a channel... And theres always that other explanation..

The Spaceship dropped it off....lol