World Record Channel Catfish.........or not???

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Rcaarizona, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Rcaarizona

Rcaarizona New Member

State:
    AZ
    For some crazy reason, the world record Channel, just does not look like a channel. I know this has been a controversy for quite sometime, some have called it a Blue, others a Flathead. The tail sure does not look like a Channel....What do you guys think???

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Head is not a flathead. I dont think there were blues down there when he was caught.
    Tail is not forked but the bottom of the pic is missin.:confused2: Where are the rest of the man's legs?:smile2:
    Anal fin looks like a channel.
    Goin with slikk on this one, Flannel Cat.:wink::smile2:

3. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    Tail says it is a flathead... flat and no forks in it

edit

Looking more at the photo... I do not like the fact that it is missing half of the photo... reminds me of some photo mannip job

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Being from SC where the record is from, this pic annoys me because I don't believe its a Channel cat.The tail says flathead all over it. As far as the head goes...I cant see enough of it to tell..nor can anyone else ; )

The pic isn't photo shopped.....there was no Photoshop back then and that's the original pic. There aren't any channel cats even close to that weight here nor do I believe there ever was. This is unfortunate for us who would love to chase the record....but aint no way this "channel " will ever be beat.

Even if you ask most DNR officers here they cant tell the difference between channels and blues......this pic to me , does not show a channel cat..IM.

-Jim-

5. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Who is to say? How old is the photo. How many of us have ever seen a channel cat 1/2 that size let alone that big. I for one know that large channels do not look nothing like fiddlers. I will give the man his due until I break his record!

6. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Ok jimmyjonny, I will let you try to break his record too. I guess I just never concerned myself with records and breaking them. So many of the old records are tainted and we all know that. I just fish to have fun and to make fun of my neighbor who couldn't catch a cold.

7. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I wouldn't even go after that record, LOL. Every person would love to break a record I guess but I'm just out to break my latest Pb ; )

Maybe a hole tub of liver for bait would help us find the record, LOL.

8. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id bet that before the introduction of blues the lake had some big channels. They dont do as well once there is a population of blue cats.
    Heres a previous debate.:smile2:
    http://brotherhood-of-catfishermen.com/catfish/messages/139/887207.html
    The bottom lip doesnt stick out far enough to look like a flathead, to me.
    Its looks like a big ugly beat up spawned out channel.
    Hard to say with 100% certainty.:wink:

9. lonny

lonny New Member

State:
    az
    some of the big channels we been catching in rosie have that square looking tail ,and same head shape.they are twenty plus lbs

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    what was the weight on that fish?

11. Az Birddog

Az Birddog New Member

State:
    Tucson, Az.
    I have to agree with Bwhupp. that photo looks fishy:roll_eyes: why would they chop off the guys legs and then put the tail back on the fish. Kinda weird. That said, it does kinda look like a Big Flat Blue Channel.

12. lilmonster23

lilmonster23 New Member

State:
    arizona
    see what happens if u dont give the gills proper check-ups.

13. whiteriver

whiteriver New Member

State:
    in
    Blues had not been introduced into SC at that time. Check out my poll and leave your thought on it.
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124263

14. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Yes they did have a type of photoshop in the old days. There has been faked and chopped photos since day one.
    In the old days you take a couple of photos. Actually chop them. Put them together how you wish then take a photo of the chop. I read somewhere that is was determined by a pro that the bottom of that photo was added later. I know it is true that the picture was chopped. I read it on the internet.