World Record Channel Cat...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by baptistpreach, Aug 27, 2007.

1. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    I was reading about controversy with the world record flathead, and this question was brought up. How come the world record channel cat has a flat tail not a forked one? It looks like a flathead to me too! What do you think?

http://home.earthlink.net/~catfish_billy/id15.html

2. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i've caught several of the larger channels (15-20lbs) or seen others catch and the tails are not forked. i'm trying to find a picture i have of some channels i have hanging oover side of boat i took a few yrs ago at lake havasu. had to have F&G guy ID them for me cause i thought were blues.
    gary

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have also caught channel cats that didnt have a forked tail. somtimes thats just the way they are.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    If this fish is certified as a world record, I would think the looks as well as weight and length was a consideration.:smile2:

5. jm_magic

jm_magic New Member

State:
    Kansas
    What is the controversy surrounding the Flathead record. If you have link to a story that would be great.

Thanks

6. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    The picture of the channel appears to have been editted to add the bottom part. Possible explanation.

7. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

the picture while poor in quality, looks like its got a big thick meaty head with roundish front typical of channels. at lest thats what it looks like

8. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    It does look like the tail was added on the picture. That big old head sure looks like a channel catfish to me.

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    Many say the fish was half-dead, flaoting on the water and he snagged it while fishing for crappie.

10. darinspawn

darinspawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    some times as the channelas grow i believe the fork tends to disapear sort of.. make sense?

11. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
  12. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Please note that the anal fin has a distinct curve in it--compared to the straight anal fin of the Blue Cat in the next picture. I don't know what happened to the tail, but it looks like a Channel 2 me (IMHO).

13. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    it's a channel cat...

14. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    At the time the record was caught South Carolina DID NOT have Blues. It was a few years later when the Blues were introduced to SC in exchange for Stripers from Arkansas.

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    Thats definitely a channel. It's head is to round to be a flathead hints the name flathead..

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have never seen that pick and I remember zebco from when I was a kid and theres is no way in the world that fish came in on a zebco with 12lb test if it was alive.

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here are your records.

http://home.earthlink.net/~catfish_billy/id15.html

the black and white fish aint no flathead. and as far as the flathead goes ive seen many bait shop pics of 60lb flatheads caught on 4-6lb test by a fisherman trying to land a crappie with a minnow. every record holder has been called a poacher more than once. believe what ya want but it wouldnt be any different than someone saying you poisoned a pond to get the fish in your profile. if we wernt there we just cant say NO WAY.

18. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just how many were there when he caught it?

here about that 124lb blue? it didnt really die it was taken to roswell new mexico where it has been put in a big round tank where it endlessly swims after a bait as the flowing water from its tail is powering the whole base while they still continue to bill the u.s. taxpayers over 1 billion dollars a year to run the facility.:wink:

19. Rhinocat

Rhinocat New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I agree, you can say no way unless you were there... I landed a 40 lb carp with 6lb test.. took awhile but it happened and people saw...

never no how thongs go..

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    has anyone started a thread about the blue record being a scam. its the only catfish record here that i haven seen on trial. jelousy boy its a sin .lol radish. who painted that replica in your braggin area thread. looks real as hell,lol. just kidding. i believe you too buddie.