Working with FEMA in Texas

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by lawnman61, Sep 30, 2008.

1. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Just thought I would drop in and let you all know that my crew and I have been in south Texas doing some cleanup work from the huricane a few weeks ago with FEMA. We had our hands full and worked with alot of others to help get things cleaned up down there.
    FEMA always calls me when something like this happens and needs the extra help. It was a total disaster and there is still lots of work to be done but I can't stay gone to long as I have yard work to take care of here in Ft Worth.
    I know they appreciate all help they can get, we were well takin care of while working around the clock to make things more livable again.
    One never really knows the real devistation from a huricane till you see it first hand. It's always nice to see people working together to help others in such hard times. I would post some pics but am not allowed to do so without FEMA checking the pics first and that could be quite some time before I could release pics for others to view.
    Lots of us worked with little or no sleep for several days and no days off.
    Me and my crew would love to thank FEMA for allowing us the oppertunity to help others in need. I could have used 20 or 30 more people to work with us but had little time to arrange for more people to come.
    It's truely amazing how many people worked together to make it possible for the people down there to get back home.

2. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You did the right thing Al. Thankx for what you have done to clean up.
    smokey

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for taking time to help your fellow Americans!! This is a very unselfish move and greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good Man ,Al. Glad you could volunteer your time.

5. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    Thanks for helping out those in need! You have no idea how much that meant to some of those people despite their thanks I am sure...

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for your help Al!!! Its greatly appreciated by all! :wink: Stop back in when you can, its good to hear from you!:big_smile:

7. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Reps to ya buddy! Thats the type of things that makes this such a great country!

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Believe me it was not an easy thing to do, I enjoy the work and enjoy the looks on peoples faces when we have accomplished so much. There is very little pat on the backs for doing so much work but thats not why we go. We go to help our fellow Americans in time of need, I'm sure they would do the same for me some day.
    Brothers and Sisters.....this kind of work is not for everyone to witness such devistation, I seen lots of people crying and even a few that have died in this huricane. and it's a very sad thing to see and it just makes us more proud to help.
    Thanks for the kind words brothers, I was just doing what I thought was right and FEMA are great people to work with.

9. johnliester

johnliester Active Member

State:
    Hoxie, Kansas
    I just got done with 2 days of ICS 300 training here in Ks. They showed a video of guys trying to herd cats. I thought it was funny and considering how some disasters here have been handled, too true. I hope they're running things well for you guys down there. Good luck, and Godspeed..

10. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    John.....Things down there were handled pretty good for the most part but there were so many things going on that confusion was playing its part as well...too many chiefs, not enough indians. lol
    At least we were with a group that knew how to handle our part. :big_smile:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Good to finally hear something good about FEMA.
    :big_smile:
    The press has not been kind.....

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The power of wind and wave is awesome.
    Sights you'll never forget.

Ever been driving down a sand covered highway and have to get out of the truck at an intersection KNEEL down to brush the sand away from a street name sign? They are usually 7' in the air?
    Topsail Island 1996 Hurricane Fran.