Working with blood for bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Spencer_Blanton, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    This is what I intend to do. Let me know if I am about to go horribly astray.

My local butcher will save some blood for me. By the time I receive it, the plasma will have separated. My intention is to pour off the plasma, add Anise or Garlic to the remaining clot, mix it until it's pourable, then pour onto greased cookie sheets until it hardens and dries a little. I envision cutting it into 1/2" chunks like little stinky brownies. My fear is that it won't harden again once I mix it. Also, if I put a screen over the cookie sheets, will it prevent magots from getting into it while it dries?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Spencer

2. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    The oil may cause it to stay somewhat soft. if it does a looper rig would be a good idea to use withit.

But if it was me beens it blood i would not ad nothing to it cause it has init already what you need to draw them to it.

I would just drain ff the stuff off the top of it let it dry in the sun afew days then cut it into bait size chunks. if you really really want it thick ad alittle brown sugar and bacon soda. mix them in very well then let set in the sun.

Be sure to spray the area your going to put the blood on to dry with a cooking spray that keeps food from sticking so the blood don't stick to it. i hope this is to some help. i would like to see some other brothers jump in and give there views they may have better ideas at this time then i do.