Working retrievers

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by blackhorse83, Jun 17, 2006.

1. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    In the Missouri heat I try to work my Lab a little every night, I wait till right before dark and make about a dozen good retrieves on land and take a bottle of water and force him to take a drink. On the weekends I take him to the lake and try to work him in the water twice a day. I think this keeps him in shape and tuned up and besides I enjoy watching him work. Anyone else keeping them tuned up?

2. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I work ours everday, in the heat its early morning or late evening. I never force them to drink. They drink what they require. We have 4, none actively working anymore. My oldest will be 11 soon. He was a hunt test and working boy until an injury retired him. Awesome dog! When working with him he can be on a retrieve and kick a rabbit in front of him and he will not veer one step for that rabbit. My youngest female has retrieve drive many people dream of. I have to work her everyday or she gets destructive in the house. She is not nutty, pretty awesome actually. Just that super strong drive. The other female wouldn't retrieve for anything , she just watches... LOL
    Have a big 3.5 year old boy that is coming along very nicely but due to injuries before I adopted him he will never be able to be a good working dog. I work with him because he loves it and I love working with him.
    Like you, I love watching them do what we call work. but to them they are doing what they love. :)

3. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Really, when you work your dog everyday you are building a bond that is only attainable that way. I know people that have "good" retrievers and get them "out" a week or two before season and then wonder why the dog is wore out after two days of hunting, especially one that makes water retrieves.

I keep fresh water, never "bottled" water, with me if the dog wants a drink, but I walk to the lake to work the dog, 3/4 mile, we both get our excersize, he learns some manners and I gain insight into how the dog reacts to different situations. I guess I might say the dog works me everyday and my training is coming along quite well. Keep'em working, they do better in the fall.

4. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

In the case of my Goldens, it's more like they work me! Once they hit the water they never want to stop! My best swimmer is the old girl, she's 12, and she can still outdo the younger ones. She's never really been trained per se, but once she caught a live duck, brought it and laid it at my feet. :big_smile:

5. Fishnhuntforever

Fishnhuntforever New Member

State:
    Northern California
    Dedication in training really pays off. You can see it in any dog that has been consistantly trained. You can get away with doing a preseason tune up if it is done right and you have done all the fundamental ground work. I hunt clubs for pheasant because their is not alot of public land available for hunting out here. Plus it gives me a longer season to work my dogs. I do all of my own training with some workshops here and there to exchange ideas. I always get compliments on my dogs behavior, workability and drive. I credit this to consitency in training. I beleive in train early, train often and enjoy the benefits. I think you are doing the right thing! Good Job!

6. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have a 3 year old chesapeake that a good hunting dog. I let her out every day & we do some simple yard work obedience type stuff. When it cools back off we'll get serious again.

7. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
    i've got a Choc. lab which is turning 7 months on the 27th. She's 47.8lbs and almost all muscle I run that dog to death and she refuses to stop without command. She loves to run behind a 4 wheeler doing laps too and she can hang about halfway into 3rd gear on my buddies ltz400 Suz. I try to get her to the lake atleast 3 times a week if possible too. Biggest thing I find from it, even more than her stamina is her bond with me.

8. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    My lab is about 6 mths old loves to retrieve in the house but take her outside and everything else is more interesting she is still a pup. She is scared to death of my gun if she See's me with my gun she runs and hides I don't know why I haven't tried to shoot over her she just doesn't like the gun. I think maybe she thinks I'm going to hit her with it or something which I haven't ever hit her nor would I. She loves to retrieve in the water but we have only gone a couple of times due to the ponds turning over here.

9. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Chuck, it's just something she knows nothing about and seeing you with the gun affects her that way. It's not a friendly thing to her. You can change that in time.

My springer does the same thing with anything strange. Leave something out of place and it boggles her mind. Take her outside and if there's a strange vehicle parked on the road, she gets bent out of shape over it.

They get over it.

10. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Chuck if she is broke to lead I'd heal her up and go for a walk an then come back and pick up the gun and go again for a short distance, and do that every day till she gets use to it being around.

11. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Thanks for the advise Ill give that a try. My father in Law is telling me im pushing her to hard and to back off a bit because she is still a pup. Maybe I am pushing to hard but I want her to be a good hunting dog. I have backed off the training just a bit because we are getting ready to move.

Yes she will walk on a lead or without a lead on the heal. She is working pretty good she just doesnt like the gun. I found out yesterday that my father in law hit his dog with a stick because he wasnt listening and I think she saw that so it could be because of that. I sure hope I can get her over it.

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    If she like and looks forward to your walks, take the gun along. She'll get over it just to be with you.