Working on the mighty Ohio River

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatman84, Apr 10, 2007.

1. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have searched all over the web looking for an answer to this question and have not got one, So ill post it here. Every one who has spent much time near the ohio river on either side has seen tug boats pushing barges up and down the river. I am thinking about trying to go to work for a tug boat company, one of them where you spend 28 days on the river then 28 days at home with pay, not to mention the catfishing opportunity i would have while on board... does any one have any info on these type of jobs they can give me? im also posting this question on the ohio forum.

2. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    try this they were looking for workers mulzer crushed stone

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Quote: not to mention the catfishing opportunity i would have while on board...

Thomas,
    I suspect you wouldn't have much time for fishing!
    You might try reposting this with a more specific title as there are a couple of members who work on the river and could possibly help you if they saw your post...W

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Thomas,
    I had a friend who worked for one of these companies a number of years back cant recall the name off the top of my head, but at that time the pay was pretty decent but the work was extremely hard there wasn't any fishing time to speak of as I like you thought this would be a great job hope you find something good keep in touch and let us know how it turns out ::big_smile:

5. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Thomas, hope this helps some, good luck in your search.

American Commercial Barge Lines
    P O Box 610 - 1701 East Market St
    Jeffersonville IN 47130
    phone 812-288-0100, 800-457-6377

M/G Transport Services
    7000 Midland Blvd
    Amelia OH 45102
    phone 513-943-7300

Ohio River Company
    P O Box 1460 - 300 Pike St
    Cincinnati OH 45202
    phone 513-721-4000 fax 800-950-1695

Ingram Barge Company
    P O Box 23049 - 4400 Harding Rd
    Nashville TN 37202
    phone 931-298-8200 fax 931-298-8213
    http://www.ingrambarge.com/barge_employment.asp

6. Wally

Wally New Member

State:
    FLORIDA
    Brother Slimey is out there, somewhere, on the "Rivers". I would be REAL NICE for him to chime in!!!

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I sent you a PM with a link to a place thats close to here.Its in Catlettsburg,KY.

8. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    thanks guys for your replys, funny thing... I looked in the paper today and saw a add for ingrambarge.com holding a job fair at my local unemployment office tomorrow, from what i geather i woild be starting out in ashland ky and takeing the ohio to the mississippi and going to the gulf of mexico and back for a 28 day trip. you get 12 hrs off per day to do what ever you want (6 on 6 off, 6 on 6 off) maybe i can get some info on how to drift fish? or would we be going to fast?

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Would you be going out by Merdie Boggs place? Whereabouts,,,I grew up by Ashland and live 15 mins from there now. If you're anywhere near there PM me and i'll give you my # and we'll wet a line sometime.

10. kycatman84

kycatman84 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    john, I live about an hour and 15 mins from ashland, Not to far at all. Ive ALLWAYS wanted to fish the ohio and catch a big blue or channel but i have never had the opportunity. but some day i hope to and accually hook something over 5 lbs..lol

11. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    you will definately be moving too fast to fish, while the barge is moving. But my buddy works for Ingram and he does get to fish once in a while while they are unloading coal or something, but not very often so I wouldn't expect to get any serious fishing done while u are working.