Working on replacing water pump, With pics

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Drawout, Aug 29, 2007.

1. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Well i am half way their i have her tore down and im looking for the parts.Impeller is definately bad.Here are some pics

Its a 1972 100 hp evinrude

Should it be all gunked up with grease like it is ?

Attached Files:

2. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    some more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jonny that impeller is that way from not changing it out That one has been in there a long time. The oil is from unburned fuel from when you were having carb trouble. I hope you fixed that problem. Have you still got the numbers from the impeller and wear plate I sent yea. That housing if not scratched up inside most likely can be reused but that wear plate and impeller has to go.
    Take you something and wash all that gunk out of there I have been known to take them to a car wash and use breakfluid cleaner to clean one up.

4. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Yes i still have the part numbers,is that for the impeller and the bottom plate ?
    What about the gaskets i noticed tha the small one was messed up pretty bad.The housing seems smooth and straight.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    My gawd Johnny, you been using that lower unit to stir your coffee? WOW.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny the gaskets I could not find but give me awhile and I'll see what I can come up with. I do think Those two numbers were for the plate and impeller.
    When you get through with this decarbon that engine and fix those carbs or you are going to have a total engine destruction from a over rich condition.

Lawerence if his coffee looks like that then leave mine in the pot.:big_smile:

7. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Destruction ??? What are you saying am i wasting my time ?Lord i sure hope not.

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you don't redo those carbs and quit trolling at slow speeds with that big ol hog you are going to. That ol 100 h/p was ment for one thing. That was to get from point a to point b in a hurry:big_smile:

She can be made to run right and now is the time with a good tune up and a carb soaking and rebuild. She is putting way to much unburned fuel down that exhaust tube. In other words it is wasting way more fuel then its burning.

Oh one more thing that will cause them to do that is the engine not reaching the right temp. Look and see if the T-stats are still in it.

9. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    OK thanks Bubba,im with you i have the carbs ready to be pulled also and i already bought the gaskets a while back,I also had plans to check the thermostat how will i know if it needs to be replaced ?

10. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    And oh yeah it is definately a gas hawg......maybe a mile a gallon i figure.:angry:

11. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Here are a couple of pics of the carbs still on about to be removed.I also pulled the fuel pump and it looks pretty clean.

Attached Files:

12. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    When i remove thermostat cover will springs fly out ?

Dont wanna lose anything.:embarassed:

13. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Johnny here is a link to some pictures of that engine. This one is of the carb but you can do a search and find the rest on this site. It doesn,t show the t-stats but if you will look down the back of the motor there should be a box looking object that is housed right at the bottom with two rubber hoses running out both sides. This is where the t-stat is located and I think there is one spring located in it and it may not be. I haven't torn one of them down in a long time.
    You can test the t-stat with a pan of hot water. Get the water to about 140 and if it opens when dropped in the water it should be okay but I would replace it any way.
    On the carbs take pictures along thw way and mark the carbs for top and bottom. Don't switch those carbs around.
    They need to be soaked and every little orfface cleaned out real good. Do it right and make it a one time deal.
    That ol engine is in a class all by itself. They made that engine one year and you have it. Good engines but have to be maintained.
    What type of plug are you running in it.

http://www.ishopmarine.com/ishop/js...&isForSupStore=false&cCatFilter=&eCatSupFldr=

14. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    I swithched to the champion that you recommended befor.You said they would be a hotter plug so i went and got em and swithched em out.Will post more pics today on progress with carbs and thermostat.Thanks for helping me out Willard.

15. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok here are some more pics .

Attached Files:

16. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Here are some more ,This carb looks very clean inside to me,although i did fin a very bad weathercracked hose on the bottom carb.

Thermostat cover ,any tips on getting these screws out ?

Attached Files:

17. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Its what may be hiding inside one of those little holes that will get you every time on those carbs. Besure to change the needle and seat out for sure and new gaskets. Go to a parts store and put new fuel lines on that set up all the way from the carb to the fuel pump. Check all the lines from the fuel pump back to the tank and if they feel hard then replace them also.
    On the T-stat case look up under the lower pan and see if its bolted to the lower pan.
    You may have to look up front and take the screws and bolts out of the wide band that fits under the lower pan and over the lower exhaust leg to access the bolts

18. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Will i need to get the "special tool" to access the high and low speed tubes or whatever ?

I got the gallon of berryman,should i remove all screws and soak everything over night before putting back together .

19. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Those tubes you are speaking of are the jets. If you can't get them out with a thick narrow blade screw driver then take a wire or pipe cleaner and run through them. Then take some air and blow through them or take some break cleaner with the little straw and shoot some cleaner thru them after soaking them.

20. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Ok carbs are done .They looked good but i rebuilt them anyway.Soaked them and blew them out good with air compressor then put back together.Tommorow i will go pick up new fuel line and put them back on engine.

As i said earlier the bottom fuel line was leaking and weather rotted,probally a big reason for all the gunk and fuel waste.