Working in Grundy Center

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by koakley1, Sep 23, 2007.

1. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I will be working in Grundy Center, Iowa off and on until mid to late June. If anyone has any info on local fishing to offer that would be great.

Thank You

2. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Don't want to rain on your parade, but I don't believe there is a whole lot of options close to Grundy Center. Depending on how far you want to travel, Eldora is probably about 20 miles west, and has Pine Lake state park, with two small lakes. I've not fished them myself, but they are supposed to be fairly decent for channel cats, bass, and panfish. Also the Iowa river runs through Eldora, it's fairly good for smallmouth, walleyes and catfish in that area. I believe its mostly wading or canoeing in that area. I live about 25 miles SE of Grundy, and I usually fish Union Grove for cats and crappies, and the Iowa river in Tama and Marshall county for cats and occasionally walleyes. You might look up the Iowa DNR website, they give a lot of fishing info, and publish a fishing report that will give you some idea of what to expect in that area. Good luck, if I can be of any more help, let me know.

3. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's For Helping A New Brother out Graybeard.Your the Man!!! J.D.
    :0a31::0a31::0a31::0a22::worship::byebye:

4. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hey thanks alot graybeard ! 20 miles is a peice of cake. I put on 840 miles yesterday and average 1200 per week. How close to Marshalltown are you? I did some warranty work on their swimming pool about 5 years ago.
    Today I found out I will also be working in Sheldon, Iowa and were bidding a job in Mediapolis, Iowa, I looked at the map and it is very close to the Mississippi. I hope we get that job I would like to say that I have fished the Mississippi.

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Kevin Welcome to the BOC, if you get to work at Mediapolis let me know. I live in Keokuk, and would be happy to take you out on it. Keokuk is about 50 miles south of Mediapolis, and mostly 4lane all of the way. I just got in off of the Mississippi river about an hour ago. Fishing is picking up some now that the river is settling down. Come on down. Later Andy

6. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I'm only about 12 miles from M-town. Let me know when you are in the area. Maybe we can hook up.

7. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the offer Andy! I wont know much about the job until after Oct 11th.

8. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks alot Wayne. I'll let you know when I head that way again.

9. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas

Hey Andy,
    I got back from Mediapolis last nght. We got 2nd on the bid for the job but the first place bidder does not have the experiance that my company does so we may still get the job.The city council has a meeting monday and I will know more then. While I was out there I went to the Mississippi and got my feet wet. WOW thats a big river!

10. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes it's a big river. I guess I don't think about that much seeing as how I was raised on it. I have had several relatives come back into the area and all they want to do is go out on it. I have a cousin who married a German girl, and she had read Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn books and she was fascinated to be to see and touch the Mighty Mississippi. I had her take her shoes off and get some mud and water on her feet. Later Andy

11. koakley1

koakley1 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I grew up near the confluence of the Yellowstone and the Missouri rivers and thought that they were awsome and still do. The rivers where I live now you can chuck a rock across them. I drive across the Kansas and the Missouri when I work in Kansas City but never get to fish them.