Work situation in the south

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by jerseycat9, Jun 30, 2006.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    How much work.If anyone knows Im a plumber,auto mechanic school trained,HVAC,Omong others I want out of the rat race and Ive set my sights for the simple life of the south as well as a future country singer (not artist) Plus we only got channel catfish up here

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Come on down. There is plenty of work for anyone that is willing to get out of bed and do it. If you have HVAC and EPA cert. you can start work the day you get down here.

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Thanks Will options are plenty I got nothin left here

4. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    They cant find enough HVAC guys down here.

5. tatersalad

tatersalad New Member

State:
    Clover, SC
    Jerseycat, my (almost) son-in-law is a plumber here (near Charlotte, NC). If you want, I'll be glad to check with him on their hiring situation, he works for a pretty big outfit here. PM you phone# if you want to talk more.

6. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    With your work skills finding a job in any state should be no problem. If my options were open I would decide on a state that has great catfishing and huge whitetails. Now that would be the best of both worlds. Throw in a good local golf course and I would be in hog heaven:big_smile:

7. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Terry, I say go for it! As Flathead Willie said there is plenty of work. I have spent a lot of time in Virginia and it is a beautiful state. I am sure many other states in the south are just as beautiful, but I have never spent any real time in any other than Virginia.

8. BoG

BoG Member

State:
    Delaware
    Name:
    Bo
    I just got back from the Richmond Virginia area. Talk about a construction boom. Not only that but the blue cat fishing is getting national recognition.

Bo

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Jerseycat, Tyson foods In Russellville will hire. They have several big freezer units that people must watch. My wife is a QA there and she makes close to $11.00 an hour. That pay is good for the South, well let me rephrase that, for Arkansas.

10. Birmingham,AL or shall I say the county directly to the south (Shelby) has been ranked in the top twenty as far as growth in the housing boom. With your qualifications you should bhe able to start work tommorow. Be advised though that the compitition from foriegn labor is getting stiffer. We are at the point where they have dominated the unskilled labor pool and are now gaining the skills to encroach on the skilled labor. The cardholders and certified folks are still in demand though and probably always will be since alot of projects require cardholders.
    One warning though, I understand that tradesmen from your part of the world are used to higher wages than is average down here. Don't let that discourage you as the cost of living is so much less that it all evens out.

11. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

There are ads in every newspaper, web site and emplyment agency here in NC looking for HVAC guys and the pay is good even without experience.

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Try Southern Industrial. They have a little bit of it all going on from cranes, rigging, electrical, pipe fitting, mechanical to concrete.
    Based in Raleigh, NC.
    The pay aint bad
    Normal work week is 5 -10's.