Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been wearing these Caterpillar waffle stompers. I'm a big fan of lace up logger style but sometimes I do get tired of lacing them up. So far the Cat boots have been good and comfortable.
I like a big heel and lots of support.
Shoe Footwear Black White Walking shoe
Footwear Boot Shoe Work boots Steel-toe boot
Footwear Shoe Boot Snow boot Athletic shoe

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,604 Posts
Got me some Timberland boots for work probably 5 or 6 years ago paid 190 dollars for them. Were terrible for working in so I used them for fishing,wading, walking across dams, climbing up and down slippery banks falling up and down slippery banks falling in rocks, falling on rocks. I was determined to get my moneys worth out of them and I still use them as long I don't get no mud in the kitchen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I used to wear redwings but now I wear thorogoods. An older man that owned a local boot store told me if you have to break in your boots you are wearing the wrong boots. He passed a couple years ago and the store closed but I'll never forget that. He had me try on a pair of thorogoods and they are by far the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They lasted about one and a half years of use on a construction site and I had to get a new pair because the steel toe started showing ( company policy ) But they were still comfortable. I used them on the weekends for another year. Only problem is they are hard to find in stores.
But now that I've had a couple pair I know exactly what I want and buy them online.

·
Registered
Stacee from Indiana
2,604 Posts
The work boots I have now are bought from Red Wing they are called Irish Setter.
They are pretty comfortable for 12 hour shifts but I have a few problems with foot pain from time to time so I still use dr. scholls gel insoles and thats what works for me.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had a pair of Carhartt boots years ago and they were awesome. The new ones are crap. I believe I’m on my third or fourth pair of redwings model 4200. I can get just under two years out of them. A bit speedy but worth it. Everyone else at work needs a new pair every fall come clothing allowance time. Most don’t make it a year.

I have a new pair of boots already for when these ones wear out. They are Danners, I believe the Quarry model. And they were not cheap! Work paid for up to 150 on a new pair of boots. I figured I’d get a nice high quality pair for half the price! Anyone have any experience with Danners?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
My last pair before I had to retire was WORX s or something like that they was a Chinese boot made by redwing wore them for 6 yrs and still wear them but I was a truck driver and hauled gas so I wasn't really hard on them Rocky Iron Clad boots were a piece of crap about a yr or less for them .mY DAD ALWAYS WORE HERMANS they was easy on the feet but that was yrs ago don't think there as good now

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I had a pair of Carhartt boots years ago and they were awesome. The new ones are crap. I believe I’m on my third or fourth pair of redwings model 4200. I can get just under two years out of them. A bit speedy but worth it. Everyone else at work needs a new pair every fall come clothing allowance time. Most don’t make it a year.

I have a new pair of boots already for when these ones wear out. They are Danners, I believe the Quarry model. And they were not cheap! Work paid for up to 150 on a new pair of boots. I figured I’d get a nice high quality pair for half the price! Anyone have any experience with Danners?
I have been wearing danners for about 8 years now. Retired Vet. I can't really speak on their longevity as everytime I came back from Afghanistan I threw them away lol. But I kept 2 for fishing. I've been on the first pair since 2014 so I have one more set awaiting use lol I don't wear them everyday but at least a couple times a week out fishing. When I bank fish I'm always jumping, hopping, climbing rocks, etc. I can't compare them to anything as since they're free I can't say they're worth the money. But the first generation would come loose at the soles, leather damaged but that's extreme desert/mountain duty. Second generation was supposed to be more rugged but I haven't tried them out yet.

Footwear Shoe Brown Tan Hiking boot
Footwear Shoe Boot Brown Hiking boot

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Decided to bust out my redwings
Ramon and others.... veterans...LEO...past and present, emergency responders, thank you for your service.
Footwear Shoe Wood flooring Hardwood Boot
Footwear Shoe Brown Boot Hiking boot

Reactions: Mac-b and Catpaw

·
Registered
7 Posts
I used to wear redwings but now I wear thorogoods. An older man that owned a local boot store told me if you have to break in your boots you are wearing the wrong boots. He passed a couple years ago and the store closed but I'll never forget that. He had me try on a pair of thorogoods and they are by far the most comfortable boot I've ever worn. They lasted about one and a half years of use on a construction site and I had to get a new pair because the steel toe started showing ( company policy ) But they were still comfortable. I used them on the weekends for another year. Only problem is they are hard to find in stores.
But now that I've had a couple pair I know exactly what I want and buy them online.

Dr. Marten Work Boots by spyboots.com
I buy made in the USA when I can, but that is becoming difficult due to:

1) Cost. Yes, you do get what you pay for, but I cannot justify a pair of White's.
2) Style. Often times, what I like is not offered or available as "made in USA" from a brand.
3) Misleading information. If you can find and read the fine print, many "made in USA" boots use all imported components, which are made overseas.

Anyhow, I recently bought these Danner Moc Toe 6" steelies. They are made in Portland, OR with imported materials. The fit and finish is nice. They are comfortable after long hours on hard surfaces. They run true to size, and fit my average width foot with high in step very nicely.

I think they were $175. I would buy another pair.

20160719_100456-1-1.jpg

1 - 20 of 24 Posts