Words To the Wise

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Katmandeux, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I buy quite a few old, discontinued reels on ebay, and have watched prices pretty closely.

Sometimes, there's no rhyme or reason to it, but there is one constant: reels that come with the original boxes, wrenches, lube, and paperwork bring more. Much more.

So, protect your investment. Save that stuff, including your receipt.

Also, certain "classics" that are almost certain to be discontinued at some point, will become collectors items. It has already happened with Penn Squidders, especially the narrow spool versions (146) which have been out of production the longest. The really nice ones are bringing prices that make them too valuable to fish with. One day, Jigmasters and 209's will probably fall into this category. Plan ahead.:cool2:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John

Yes Your Right Dave,Some have really jumped in price especially when you have the Original Box and papers. With that said I have two Abu Garcia Morrum 7700 CL reels that I bought New several years ago (Not made any longer) and at time they cost $269.00 dollars and were the top of the line. I Fish these Reels and I take GOOD care of them they still look New.They were the Largest Morrum Abu Garcia made.I'm sorta Old School and have chose to use them Babys,I'm getting Old and when I Die the Wife will most likly put My stuff in a garage sale and some one will one Hell of a Buy,LOL Just Call me Stupid I guess.Thanks for the Post, J.D.

3. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    good advice Dave i have always ben one to just trash the box but i started keeping theam last year for that same reasen and also if you deside down the road to just display it and stop using it it is nice to have the box to add to the display

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have never purchased a rod, a reel, a shotgun, handgun or rifle with the intent of resale. I figure if I paid a dollar for it today, I'd spend the equivalent of two dollars to buy the replacement. I still have, and use, my first abu 5000, purchased in 1963. Seems like I paid 15.00 for it then at the Post Exchange.

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

I agree, usually if i'm going to the trouble of getting the money to buy it, i'll more than likely keep it. The only exception to this rule is if i really dislike something, then i'll try to return it. It usually takes me a couple of days to get rid of the box anyway as i make sure it works like its supposed to first.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey....alright JD! Let me know when your wife is having that garage sale, I'll be there to scoop 'em up buddy! Yessirree!!!!!:smile2:

If you don't think you can plan ahead for the event just make sure she gets my phone number!

7. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    It seems page 1 is full so here is page 2 lol. Vern

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Yep, if ya got the space to store that stuff its a good idea. Its also good for firearms.