Word perfect Helpline (not a joke)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Dreadnaught, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    This has to be one of the funniest things in a long time. I think this guy should have been promoted, not fired.

This is a true story from the WordPerfect Help-line, which was transcribed from a recording monitoring the customer care department. Needless to say the Help Desk employee was fired; however, he/she is currently suing the WordPerfect organization for "Termination without Cause."
    Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee.(Now I know why they record these conversations!):

Operator: "Ridge Hall, computer assistance; may I help you?"
    Caller: "Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."
    Operator: "What sort of trouble??"
    Caller: "Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."
    Operator: "Went away?"
    Caller: "They disappeared."
    Operator: "Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"
    Caller: "Nothing."
    Operator: "Nothing??"
    Caller: "It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."
    Operator: "Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out??"
    Caller: "How do I tell?"
    Operator: "Can you see the 'C: prompt' on the screen??"
    Caller: "What's a sea-prompt?"
    Operator: "Never mind, can you move your cursor around the screen?"
    Caller: "There isn't any cursor; I told you, it won't accept anything I type."
    Operator: "Does your monitor have a power indicator??"
    Caller: "What's a monitor?"
    Operator: "It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV.
    Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on??"
    Caller: "I don't know."
    Operator: "Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that??"
    Caller: "Yes, I think so."
    Operator: "Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall.
    Caller: "Yes, it is."
    Operator: "When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one??"
    Caller: "No."
    Operator: "Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."
    Caller: "Okay, here it is."
    Operator: "Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."
    Caller: "I can't reach."
    Operator: "OK. Well, can you see if it is??"
    Caller: "No."
    Operator: "Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over??"
    Caller: "Well, it's not because I don't have the right angle -- it's because it's dark."
    Operator: "Dark??"
    Caller: "Yes - the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."
    Operator: "Well, turn on the office light then."
    Caller: "I can't."
    Operator: "No? Why not??"
    Caller: "Because there's a power failure."
    Operator: "A power .... A power failure? Aha. Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff that your computer came in??"
    Caller: "Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."
    Operator: "Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."
    Caller: "Really? Is it that bad?"
    Operator: "Yes, I'm afraid it is."
    Caller: "Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them??"
    Operator: "Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer!!!"

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ya Know JW ya just cant fix Stupid.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I think thats the definition of a ID-10-T error.

4. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    This is precisely why I don't work with the public anymore. Too many "hoof in mouth" moments.

I used to own 3 cellular phone stores. We sold cellular phones, accessories for the phones, and we sold directv satellites. Okay, I'm not one to mince words. I'm pretty cut & dried, and just about anybody can read me like a book when they speak to me. I'm easy going, but I don't have a hard time speaking my mind. You folks absolutely would not believe how many people I sold phones and satellites to, that turned out to be too darn stupid to work them. Seriously, after repeatedly showing them how to do things in the store, and sometimes after making special trips to their homes to help them learn how to turn their tv on...... some people were just too ignorant to operate things like cellphones and satellite dishes. I had a pre-printed "directv for dummies" type of paper I could hand out to folks who just couldn't get it. If they couldn't figure that one out, then I would go do a home visit and show them exactly what they needed to know..... sometimes they still wouldn't figure it out. Oh well.

After I had a spanish lady break down and start bawling because she couldn't figure out her cellphone, she screamed at me "I've never had anybody make me feel so stupid!!!!!" :confused2: I knew then that it was time I hung it up. I sold all my equipment, closed my stores, and went to work at the family farm. I just prefer dogs to people sometimes I guess. When it all comes down to it, I'm just not cut out for working with the public.

I really feel this fella's pain.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    JW I suspect that call came from one of the blonds on my street. I wish I could afford to move. This is going to give this street a bad name."Stupid":wink:

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Some people amaze me:crazy::eek:oooh:

7. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    They should give that operator a raise.

8. Love Them Cats

Love Them Cats New Member

State:
    Vinita, Oklahoma

That's pretty funny!

I run a web site where I make and sale screen savers and been doing it since 1999 and you wouldn't believe some of the questions I get from some of my customers?

It's a good thing I deal with them by email, because if I had to talk to some of these people, it would be hard to keep from laughing at them.

Ken

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I kept all my boxes. Maybe that should tell me something!! LOL

10. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thats the reason i had my putter hooked up on cable.i know if the tv aint on the putter wont work and all i do is call the cable guy he comes rite over and fixes the prob.