Woohoo i got the boat running - How do you shift?

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Chief, May 22, 2006.

1. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    finally!!!! got my motor running today been doin laps in our pond to get her ready for the river! one last quick question on the throttle its has shift-start-fast. i'm assuming in order to switch from neutral to forward etc i need to twist the throttle into the shift section correct?!

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Clayton, glad you got the boat running. Now go out and catch some fish.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    When going from one gear to another just bring it back to idel. If you try to line those little marks up you won't never get to going.:lol:

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Been thinking about you and that motor.Sure was hoping that you would get it going.When you get a chance,let us know the details.We are all learning right along with you.Peewee-williams

5. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Would not worry about the lines on the handle. Just idle all the way down to shift. Good luck and may your lines be tite.

6. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well after running it in my pond i decided to drop her in the local river. took the girlfriend along hoping to relax and spend some time with her. so i push the boat in and paddled out in the middle and dropped anchor while i made sure everything was ready to go. flipped on the choke and fired her up. running good so i idled down and shifted to forward and gave her a llittle gas. chug chug chug she dies. started it back up and let it idle for a little bit before i shifted into forward same thing. acts like it wants to go and dies. tried reverse same thing. i'm thinking it may have to do with the current in the river. it was pretty strong. any ideas?

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Adjust you carbs while it is in gear where she will take off. Sounds like it is a little on the lean side. The current won't effect the way a motor runs just the ability to do it.

8. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    it doesnt make sense it was running perfect in my pond, taking off without any trouble at all. oh and i left out the part of dragging my boat 100 yards through shin deep muck and chest high weeds. good thing i'm still young..lol oh and i forgot. when we were just sitting there with the motor off i flipped it into forward and there was a clicking sound coming from the prop i think

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Clayton my good man that is what they made ramps for.:lol:

Look and make sure you had the bulb pumped up good. Did you lay the motor on its side when you transported it to the river or did you make the girl friend carry it.:tounge_out:
    It does sound like it is not enough fuel there though.

10. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Clayton, did you reset the choke after it started? I forgot this the first time i took my boat out the first time . excited as i was to be in a boat.
    Now don't tell girlfriend if this happened. tell her she was sitting in wrong position and the boat wasn't balanced correct. aha Just thought of something else. Ihad to replace the fuel line from the tank. It had hardened and the check valve inside bulb reversed .It would pump hard but wouldn"t let gas flow. I hope i helped.

11. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    primer bulb was nice and firm. made sure i flipped the choke off once it got going. i had the motor upright on the transom during transport and i always keep it sitting up on the motor stand when i take it off. i'm gonna put it back in the pond again in the next couple days and see what happens. the fuel lines from the tank are kinda stiff, but i took them all apart and made sure they were clear and replaces the primer bulb

12. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    well just came back from a test run in the pond. wont even start now! DAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! probably just end up taking it to a merc dealership.