WOOHOO!!! finally a motor that runs.

Discussion in 'Boating' started by txthumper1691, Jan 27, 2008.

1. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    After buying th lil jon boat almost 2 yrs ago, and all th work I did to try to get th motor that came with it to run, then buyin a smaller one and still no dice.....Today I went to th flea mkt to look for some chairs for th dinning table, I came across a 1967 9.5 hs evinrude. looked at th sticker, th guy was askin $350 for it. So I stopped an asked some ?'s he was more than helpful, told me everything about th motor while it was in his possession. So after talkin to him for about 1/2 an hour an a quick discussion w/th wifey, she said either th motor or th dodge, I dont get both, so ........th kids an I had a GRREEAAAAT time tooolin around th lake w/my new motor for like 4 hrs. Now this next month I can start runnin my trots. I AM SOOOO STOKED. It was funny, w/just me an th motor th front of th boat sat so high in th air, I thought for sure I was gonna take on water just takin off, but nope, just needed a lil weight in front an we r good to go.

2. Plowboy411

Plowboy411 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Congratulations my friend.
    it's hard to get a good one anymore.

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. RivrLivn

RivrLivn Member

State:
    Missouri
    Those are good little motors.
    I grew up running a 1968 9.5hp Evinrude on our 16' river jon.
    That thing ran perfect with very little maintenance until we sold it in 1992.

Have fun:big_smile:

5. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I grew up runnin a merc. but th guy who sold me th evinrude said th same as you, he also took pristine care of it. I think this motor will last me a loong time. he is from Michigan and gave me th #'s of th ppl who do his outboard repair in Michigan, all I hafta do do is say his name and they will work w/me he says. next weekend he is giving me th carb re-build kit, not that I need it, but somewhere down th road, I may...so. I just hafta follow his instructions and th motor should last a long time to come.

6. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Now that you got the motor, you can get out there and start catching the hawgs and post more pics.
    Congrats on the new motor.
    :big_smile:

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Good deal! Congrats on the new motor, hope you and the kids have fun with it!!

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    here are a few pics of th boat, and my 1st mate. ;-)

Attached Files:

9. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Glad you got a good motor. Now go catch some big cats !!!:smile2:

10. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo

Outstanding looking 1st mate he look,s well versed in m-jonboat operations.

Is he skinning them cats yet?

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Congratufalations Keith! Good buy for sure!!

Bill

12. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Congrats on the motor. Also thanks for the pics of the 1st mate. He is smiling and appears to be ready to go.:smile2:

13. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    thats my boy, looks like he was born on a boat huh. Now, am plannin to post some pics real soon. well after I spend th 22, 23 & 24th of this month at Lake Granger runnin trots an a few jugs, and even doin a lil drift'n, we'll see what happens. hopefully we'll have a plethera of pics of fish of all sizes. Will keep ya posted, probly on a new thread by then.

I am doin some modification on th lil boat. I took th bow & stern lights and their bases from th bass boat and hooked them to my trollin motor battery and put in an in-line fuse and a toggle switch for th lights an trollin motor, so it wont accidentally turn on. I am addin them cuz I dont like th lights that clamp on, they suck. also I built like this lil shelf that goes over th batery for th gas tank to sit on. just sorta tryin to organize a lil. I'll post pics of all that later. till then keep your lines tight and be patient, that biggun will come.

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    My frst outboard was a 1958 7.5 Johnson on a 12 ft simiV boat and I loved it and I must have run that old motor a 1000 miles before I sold it,still running.