Woodson State Fishing Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by brmills, Jun 28, 2008.

1. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Hi, I'm new here, but thoroughly impressed with the helpful info that everybody offers. A buddy and I are planning to go to Woodson State Fishing Lake (Lake Fagan) near Yates Center for a few hours tonite. I have never fished it. Anybody familiar with it? We have had a lot of rain the last few days, so it is probably up. How has the bite been in general over east central ks.? What would be the recommended bait for channel now? Thanks again for any help.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Welcome Aboard! I mainly fish rivers and have done okay this year but the bite has been unstable. The rivers come up and go down,come up and go down.As far as Woodson goes, I have never fished it before but know people who have. There are some BIG channels in there, possibly a state record. If you are trying for smaller ones Id use nightcrawlers or cut bait where the creek feeds the lake. If you are after the hogs use live bait or leopard frogs. Id fish one deep and one shallow. Id also try using a slip float. Good Luck!

3. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Welcome Brian,
    Its been a long time, but I've never caught so many channel cat, in one place at one time, as I did at Fagan. That was back when shad gizzards were cheap,.. we dumped one jar over the side and fished with the other. 2 of us caught well over a hundred fish from sunset till midnight. 2 to 9 #s

4. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    sounds like i need to head south sometime in the future !! is the lake y'all talkin about the one right next to the town or the one a little farther southwest of yates center ??

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I think so. Its only a hop, skip and a jump from Toronto Lake. The Catfish Insider said that someone pulled a 38 lb channel out of there last year.

6. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    It's really closer to Toronto than Yates Center. Another question--Does anybody else have to give their wife money whenever you want to go fishing???:roll_eyes:

7. River Outlaw

River Outlaw New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas,
    well, i became free a cpl years back but when i was "married" sometimes a little "shut up" money was in order :smile2:

8. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    If I want her to go get bait I do!!:wink:

9. center12

center12 New Member

State:
    KS
    Ray, Fagan..........that's a jolt from the past, haven't heard anyone call it that in years. Grandparents lived east of there in Humbolt and we always made trips to "Fagan". Those days are long gone, but thanks for bringing back a few memories.

Guess Brian was the first to bring it up(Fagan), just didn't catch it.........thanks.

10. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for all the help, guys. I'll let you know how we do. By the way, I live in Eureka and all the locals still call it Fagan. No one knows where Woodson State Fishing Lake is.:wink:

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I must of missed that in the issue. If so , whoever caught that wasnt too current on the state records. :wink:

12. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Had a good evening, caught 1 10lb, 1 8lb, 1 7lb, 2 3lb, and lost 1 that looked about 8lb. when he broke water at the boat. The 10lb. is my new PB. I took some really sorry pics. with my daughters camera when we got home, but she is gone today and I don't know how to work the darn thing. That was my first time fishing Fagan but it won't be the last!:smile2:

13. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Brian sounds like you had a great evening of fishing.Cant wait to see the pictures.

14. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Congrats Brian. :big_smile:

15. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Where is the good spots to fish this lake ? Me and Shelby were there this past Friday night, and didnt do very good at all. I caught 3 channels between 1-2 lbs. and one wiper. There was alot of people there for the 4th , so we were kinda limited on spots. Ill post a map , with a red X , showing where we were fishing. If any of you know of any good spots, feel free to mark them on this map and repost it. I would love to go back to this lake, but something tells me that fishing it from a boat would be the best bet. I will still bank fish it, if I cant get a buddy talked into taking his boat down there. Thanks. :big_smile:

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll48/k1978a/woodson2.jpg

16. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    From my limited experience with this lake, and from what I have heard, boat fishing is more productive. Near the dam the water is about 50 ft. deep right now. We were fishing this area. I caught fish with worms on a slip bobber rig at about 4 ft. deep. We were also productive in the NW cove area, it is shallow, but holds lots of fish. Hope this helps. It is a beautiful area, too.

17. brmills

brmills New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Also, I was there today and saw only 1 other boat on the water, and nobody bank fishing. Was with a buddy, and we both caught 3 channels each, all between 3 and 7 lbs. There is a 2 fish limit (channel cat) per person for keeping eaters.

18. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Thanks For The Update There Brian, We Don't Keep The Fish We Want The Biggins Over 10:eek:oooh:. We Really Want Some Over 20:big_smile:.

What Were You Using For Bait??

Also It Is Around 1:55 Min Drive From Olathe.
    So We Are Tryin For The Record Channels When We Drive That Far.

19. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    You said it Shelby. We want one of those 38 lb. channels !!!!!!:wink:

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Any New Info Or Fish Caught Out Here At Woodson Latly?? If So Where Would be The Best Spot To Find A Few Good Ones??