Woods Reservoir

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by TN-CATFISHER, Mar 5, 2008.

1. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    I thought a few of you might be interested to hear a report on Woods Reservoir. Woods is about a 4,000 acre lake in middle TN near Tullahoma/Manchester. I've heard Woods has some very respectable channels, blues, and flats. Due to PCB contaminates, you want to limit your catfishing to catch and release only however.

I initially set out on my first trip to Woods today to try for some crappie. When I didn't have much luck on artificials, I decided to search for some shad to try. Well, I came up on this area that had to be at least a couple hundred yards long just full of shad. I was marking them from about 5' all the way down to 20'. So I threw out my cast net and completely filled it the first throw. There were some really nice size shad in there and I was thinking, maybe I ought to save some of these big ones to try for cats. So I toss out the small stuff, completely forgetting about the crappie fishing and throw out again. This time I bring in another mess of shad along with a 4 or 5 lb channel. Well now I'm stoked thinking, hmm... I wonder how many other catfish are down there. So I pull out the cat poles and start cutting up big shad and before I know it I'm getting double headers. I didn't land any monsters today, but I caught a mess of channels, and pulled in a few 4-8 bls blues in between. The catfish were in a feeding frenzy, and the blues looked like there bellies were going to explode. I could see some of the cats coming up through the shad to the surface, and I definately saw some fish bigger then what I caught. On the graph I was getting some huge marks just underneath the thick layers of shad. So needless to say, there will definately be some future visits to Woods. :big_smile:

2. boogie

boogie New Member

State:
    east tennessee,maryville
    awsome ,sounds like you had a good time , congrates on finding the fish like that :big_smile:

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jon I have fished that lake several times over the last few years anddone real good on the cats and use to on the crappie. I can put you on to some good spots for the crappie on it. I'll send you the directions to them in the am.

4. TN-CATFISHER

TN-CATFISHER New Member

State:
    Cannon County, Middle TN
    Thanks man, that'd be great. Why don't you fish there anymore? I remember you saying you still crappie fished.