Wooden Boat

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Mark J, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    This month Wooden Boat Magazine has a good issue.
    It includes the part 1 of building the Jericho Bay Lobster Skiff. 15'4"long with a beam of 5',4". Easily powered with a small engine like a 20 horse achieving speeds over 20 MPH.
    It's a strip built boat.
    If you've thought about building a boat you have to get the October issue.
    It shows how to build a strongback, an article on how to loft plans, and a restoration of a classic. An all around good issue to get your feet wet with, learn some terminolgy, and see how to get started with strongback and frames.

Sadly I learned that Phil Bolger took his own life with his Colt .45 back in May.
    Bolger has designed over 700 boats and ships from small rowing prams to sportfish boats. Although not the best boat designer in the world he is known worldwide and his plans have been built worldwide. Many Bolger boats are in existence. Bolger is best known for designing out of the box. He wasn't afraid to deviate from traditional boat design to work around a problem. As one man said a sailboat typically has the keel in the center of the boat. If Bolger needed to work around something, he wasn't afraid to break ranks and offset it. If it worked it worked. If it didn't he would jump to admit his failures.

He was the type that designed to criteria. If you wanted a boat you could spend a weekend on yet trailer it he would and could design it.

He is famous for the Bolger brick boats. Although most are downright ugly the purpose of the designs was for a beginner to be able to build a boat to completion in a weekend or two. As the name implies they look alot like bricks.
    Not a whole lot of time consuming shape to work around.

Anyway , apparently dementia runs in his family. Recently his mind had really started failing him. He chose to end his life on his own terms. The exact same way he designed boats. On his own terms and not bound by a specific tradition of boat designing.

See ya across the bar Phil. Rest in Peace.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I'm going to add this boat to my must builds.
    B&B yacht designs is coming out of obscurity. I like his economical approach to boats and boat building.
    Look at the speeds this size boat gets with a 90. Try that with a factory boat.

Gotta love that sexy CAROLINA flair on the bow too.
    Example of a nice small/big boat that is economically sound in todays uncertainty of gas prices.
    I just might have to build one of these pronto.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/ocracoke.htm

3. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I built one of Bolger's boats back in the day. It was a pirogue, just big enough for me and a couple small dogs. Used to have a lot of fun with that boat.
    Wooden Boat mag. was always good too.
    Phil Bolger was a good designer of boats that were easy to make.
    I wouldn't be caught dead in that Brick though.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A brick is not really the boat I would look for a mate with.:smile2:
    But a boat is better then sitting on the dock wishing.