Wood Stoves

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by catfisher43, Oct 25, 2006.

1. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Does anyone still burn wood to heat there homes in the winter.

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm sure someone still does.I know I personally like a wood stove burning but I don't have one burning.Seems to me it would be an inexpensive way to keep one's home warm in the winter,providing it was big enough to get the job done.I once seen a lady who had a wood furnace in her basement.The logs were 3-5 foot long,and it would hold several logs and burn all night and then reload the next morning.Her house was always warm in the winter!:smile2:

3. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    I used to when I lived on the farm, it was a lot of work, but well worth it for good heat, but extremely messy no matter what you do. I had a wood furnace also, but I also had a warm morning stove in the kitchen. I think the big craze right now is the corn or pellet stoves. Very little mess, and fuel easy and cheap to come by. I have a friend who swears by them. I think if I was to go for an alternative to gas I'd go with the corn stove.
    Later Andy

4. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Don't have a wood stove but do have a fireplace that we use everynight in cold weather. It isn't real efficient, a lot of heat goes up the chimney, but it does help keep the furnace from kicking on as often and it makes the living room nice and cozy plus it's just nice to watch. Cut my own wood here on the place so all it costs is a little gas for the chain saw and tractor, and a new chain every couple years. Really nice to back up too when I come in from the cold and just let the heat soak in for awhile.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Plenty rural folks in AR use wood stoves. Some have wood fired furnaces that are outside the house and the heat is piped into the house duct work. These also heat water.

We have a wood burning fireplace that has a cast iron insert, it has glass doors that seal completely, combustion air comes from under the floor of the house so no air is removed from the house. The heat from the insert is thermal siphoned into the house. It will heat the entire house and it's very efficient.
    We had an open fireplace in TX that sucked air out of the house... it was useless to heat with... nice to watch the fire burn.

6. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    my grandparents do any i absolutely LOVE the smells! theres nothin better than wood smoke in my opinion... well... cept maybe gunpowder but thats a whole other story! but yes i love a good woodburning stove

7. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    We heat 100% with a wood burner, its a hard way but probably the most rewarding one

8. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    burn wood but also have a fuel burner just so i dont have to stoke the fire in the middle of the night call me lazy but i like to sleep

9. carpet1

carpet1 New Member

State:
    Ash Flat,Arkansas
    I still burn wood used to years ago then swicted to gas till it got to high went back to wood about four years ago

10. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    wood is my main source of heat but have gas as a backup.alot more work but easier on the wallet

11. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Yep, carpet1 does burn wood. I've helped him cut his and he helps me cut for my fireplace.

I also have a aunt (age of 94) who still uses a old wood cook stove. Still uses a axe to split her own wood too. Won't let anyone do it for her either. I've tried and so has others. But it sure makes great biscuits and is always a pot of beans cooking on it along with the coffee pot with the innards removed and the grounds in the pot with the water. And strong too!

12. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    WE burned wood up untill last year when we moved:big_smile:

13. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks for all the replies.i have burned wood all my life.i still have propane back up.but in my opinion theres no better heat than wood heat.i spent 78.00 dollars on propane last winter and thats with cooking with gas.its alot of work,but well worth it.i was brought up burning wood.guess old habits die hard.