wood heater in deer house??

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by BLKCLOUD, Nov 6, 2007.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have built a 8x8 deer shooting house, I have a propane heater to warm with but I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of putting a pot bellied stove in one?? I wonder if the deer would be wary of the smoke? I know when I had my outside wood burning heater they never minded but not sure about this..its 10 feet off the ground..thanks!

2. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Timing. A neighbor put a military type tent up last year near a large grove of cedars. Stove pipe sticking out the roof. He hunted out of it all seasons he had a tag. His positive results were from putting the thing up early so they got used to it. Made no difference to the deer after they got used to it, if no noise they would practically walk right up to the flap. John.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I have been out several times and smealed smoke from leaves, tabacco stalks, and wood stoves and the deer that came through didn't seem uncomfortable. I wouldn't be worried myself.

4. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't think they would be alarmed. It's high enough that most of the smoke will go over their heads. I'm a smoker and smoke in the stand. Just a couple hours ago I had a Doe come in from down wind of me and stand 40 yards away while I was smoking. It usually takes two senses being triggered to alarm a deer. If they smell you they don't automatically haul butt. But if they smell you AND hear you, or hear you AND see you, they're gone! Besides, I don't think they associate things like smoke with hunters. In my old neighborhood, almost everyone heated with wood. The woods were full of smoke all winter.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    The key is to get it up early enough and start burning some stuff for them to get used to it after awhile they wont even give it a second look.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    on our lease they burn the clear cuts before they replant them with pine trees and we see the deer walking and feeding in them while the wood is still burning so im sure the smoke wont bother the deer.

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I never had a deer hunting house but I did build a tree house.It had a tin roof and half walls,I sat a metal 5gal bucket on 2 bricks and then build a fire in it and the smoke never botherd the deer but the floor of the tree house was 40ft off the ground.

8. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I don't think the smell will bother them, but if they can see the smoke coming out of the blind...... I don't know. The first buck I ever shot, I killed while hunting from a climbing stand about 100 yards from our hunting camp, and I was directy downwind of the camp. Now I probably wouldn't have hunted that spot, knowing what I know now, but there was a guy at camp toking the fire into a freakin' monster inferno while I was hunting. I could see the blaze through the trees, and that buck still came bumbling right through my setup. Seriously that fire could've been seen from an airplane rather easily, and it didn't seem to bother that buck a bit.