Wood Heat

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Katmandeux, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I love the winter, just so I can fire up the woodstove.

Anybody else heat with wood? What kind of stove do you have? Is it a good'un?

2. sparky806

sparky806 New Member

State:
    Shawnee Kansas
    I have a Pacific Energy insert with blower. Heats up to 2,000 sq ft. I also get to spend this weekend cutting wood, but I love wood heat.
    Richard

3. richard dunbar

richard dunbar New Member

State:
    Washington
    I miss my fireplace. My wife don't though. I used to spend hours in front of it either watching tv or or telling stories to my kids. We moved in a house that dos'nt have one, but the pond in the back makes up for it.

4. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Been heating with wood for the last 12 years. The house had one in when I bought it and used that stove up till the year before last. It was a cast iron air tight and she was pretty well burned out when I replaced it.
    I put in a Drolet all steel air tight and it works pretty good. I go through about 3 chords during the winter (always burning) oak. I like the heat from the wood stove it sure is nice on them real cold days to come in and stand by to take the chill away.

5. chinook

chinook New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have a big old wood stove that heats the whole house. No matter how cold, I stay warm and comfortable. I get wood from friends who have trees that they want cut, so all my wood is free. I also have a gas furnance that I run a couple times of year just to see if it works. I haven't bought any propane for more than three years and then I only spent $50 to fill the tank. With all the money I save I can buy lots of fishing equipment. Plus I really enjoy getting out and cutting the wood. I work in an office all day long, so cutting the wood is heavenly.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I used to heat with wood but now I only heat my garage with wood when I'm working out there. EOG drilled a gas well on my farm so now I have free gas. I now have a lot of free firewood on my farm if anyone lives close enough to stop by and cut their own.

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    my grandpa has one, idk what kind it is but its really old, keeps the house well heated and lets off a gooood smell. lol thats my favorite part about a wood stove.. the smell of wood smoke! lol

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I have a wood pellet stove. It's incredible how hot it gets my place. Great for my wife who's always cold but bad for me. Im Norweign by blood American by Birth and I hate the heat. I end up in summer shorts when I got it going. I love the smell of a real wood fire though.

9. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I also burn wood.Its been nice and toasty here with the 0 and teen degree weather we had last week.Spent 78 bucks to fill propane tank over the summer.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    John, you were to smart to have free gas in your lease contract. Many years ago when my father in law leased his place, he required free gas if a well was drilled in that section. Well then in 1980 they drilled a gas well on his neighbor so he was able to tie on at the well head. His neighbor that the well is on his place didn't have it in his contract so he couldn't get gas. My father in law was one of only few that got free gas in that area.

Question... Do you have a odorizer or does the gas company take care of that? On his the gas company did for a while but soon stopped. I bought and installed a odorizor for him.

11. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Katman,
    I heat with wood also and have been doing so since I moved to this place in 1987. I bought a Consolidated Dutchwest Airtight stove at that time and it has done a great job of heating the house. Last year I took it partially apart and resealed it and installed a stainless liner in the chinmey. That liner made the stove work better, I wish I would have done that earlier. I like the fall and winter, getting out and cutting wood is one of my favorite things to do.