WOO HOO!! This Time I Finally Did It...

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by RIVER-RAT, Apr 27, 2009.

1. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Got off work around 3pm and decided since I don't have to be at work on Monday till around 2 in the afternoon, I'd hit the river for a few hours.

Got to the river around 530ish and didn't spend much time catching bait, found a few shad and a skipeye and headed to the first hole. The wind was absolutely awful! :angry: Horrible horrible south wind!

Anchored in that first spot for about 35 minutes and was able to get the skunk out of the boat with a 2-3 pound blue...not much of a fish but it was still a cat! :wink:

Pulled anchor and tried several other spots, but only got a few little dink bites. It was starting to get dark so I pulled anchor again and headed back up river...that's when I made one of the best decisions I have ever made! :roll_eyes: As I was cruising, I just happened to look at the graph and noticed some big returns on the screen. I stopped and told Joe, my fine netman :wink:, to throw anchor.

I threw out my two poles and got nice and cozy in my comfy chair....then I swear 4 minutes later, I saw my left outside pole very slowly bending over...I thought I was snagged up and looked at the horizon to see of the boat was moving. It wasn't. I then grabbed the pole and started asking my self...what the heck is going on???? :confused2: When I pulled on the "snag" that's when I "awoke" the beast that was on the other end! I had a fish on...not just any fish either...a fish that started peeling drag like no other fish I have ever fought before! That's when I told Joe I, I think this is a GOOD fish!

What a battle, I would gain some yardage...it would take it all back...from one side of the boat to the other... up river...under the boat...it just did not want to come to the surface...then it did....but it didn't stay long...with a big swish of it's tail, it splashed Joe and I and headed down for another run....

This epic battle went on for approximately 15-20 minutes, finally the ol beast wore down...I got it to the surface and Joe tried to get it in the net, IT DIDN'T FIT!! The tail was in and that was pretty much it...so I don't exactly remember what I did with the pole, I just remember reaching over the gunnel and grabbing fish and net!!:smile2:

That's when I started screaming like I had just won the world series!! All I could say to Joe was....I hope it's 70! I hope it's 70! (I've been wanting to break the 70lb barrier for awhile!) My next step was to get the net and the scale and tare the scale...got it, DONE! Then I rolled that beast back into the net the best I could and realized I had left the camera in the truck...11 miles away! So...camera phone it was....

Stood on the front deck of the boat and hoisted this hawg up to get a weight on her...90.92 pounds of blue catfish!!! I got the best photos of her I could with a camera phone...got pic of the scale....then put her back in the water to revive her...which didn't take long! She whipped away with a very powerful jerk that tore up my hand pretty good...but it was worth it!!

90.92 pounds!! I still can't believe it happened! I literally was shaking with adrenaline and excitement for the next hour! Still can't believe I landed that fish...I was so afraid the hook was gonna pull out during that fight...but it didn't and I landed the beauty!!

I will have pics up as soon as I locate my adaptor for my phone so I can download the pics...and yes...I do have them! In fact so does Ryan..Cuz..Kyle..Jason and Grumper! I had to show somebody right away!! :wink::smile2::smile2:

2. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    congrats Bill nice fish and awsome story thanks for sharring

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    AWESOME! ATTA BOY RAT. WOOOHOOOOOOO

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Great fish brother, congrats

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Congrats, Bill on the fish of a lifetime! I didn't think you were actually serious when I got the call, but after seeing those pics, I thought there is a fish that Bill don't make look small! LOL. Again, congrats! That is one helluva fish!:wink:

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That just might, might, move you up on the next rung in the Ultimate Contest. Way to go, Bill!!!!!

7. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Way to go Bill! Can't wait to see the pictures. Congrats

8. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go Bill!!!! Thats what we all dream about. Pictures please.:worship:

9. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Wow bill 90 lbs, that is just 10 or in your case 9 lbs away from the magic 100 number. I almost went out yesterday but i was out sat and it was so windy that when I motered down the miss from columbia bottoms it kinda of scared me so I turned around and stayed on the mo. Man, I would love to fight a 90 pounder, you described it good.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    ALL RIGHT BILL!!!!!!!! Congrats my friend

11. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Can't wait to see the pictures! Congrats Bill!

12. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member

State:
    KANSAS
    WAY TO GO YOU ARE THE MAN CAPTAIN RAT just put your email add. in your phone and send the picture to your email

13. Stl-Stitch

Stl-Stitch New Member

State:
    Saint Charles, MO
    I have seen the HOG pics and yes it's true the fish does make Bill look small. When I got the phone call Bill was still out of breath and in Big Fish Land. All he could say was "90 pounds" followed by "I can't believe it 90 pounds." I have to admit it I am jealous of the new PB and it sure was hard to work the rest of the night thinking about what I missed. Congrats Bill and I hope you’re with me when I get my 90 pounder because with me weak left arm I may never get it in the boat.

14. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Is 90 lbs the biggest a "boc" member has caught? I have been calling up my fishing friends and telling them about the monster bill caught. I guess I am going to have to start living my fishing life vicariously through bill.

15. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Still a few pounds short, Patrick. I think Cuz holds that record in Gateway Cats at around 97 lbs. Not sure about the entire BOC.

16. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Ratman.....kudos. You deserved it.

Envy is at an all time high. :roll_eyes:

17. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Way to go Bill! That must of been a hell of a fight. Way to go!:smile2:

18. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Congrats on a great fish

19. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Amazing man! Congratulations on the monster Blue!

20. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Well Bill I am happy for ya buddy! Just glad you got him out of the way before we square off in our match.:smile2: I was ready to hop in the truck and drive to see the beast if you would have still been holding him hostage. I wish I could of been there to see the big man weak at the knees and chattering like a school girl, it was still pretty funny over the phone.:smile2: You are the MAN Bill! Congrats on a new PB MONSTER that I am sure you will end up topping again.