Won't stay running

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by calogan, Jul 8, 2009.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My 85' Evinrude 70hp won't stay running. I prime the ball and choke it, it runs until that little bit of gas is gone than dies. Basically it revs up and right back down to nothing, almost like it runs only when its choked. While pumping the ball and watching the fuel filter, I can see gas barely leaking to the carburetor, and the fuel filter is never full. I was thinking that the filter was pluged, but I took it off the line, gave the ball a squezze and gas came out freely on the exit side. The ball doesn't get completely hard either, just half way, and its not until half way and hard will the gas move in the fuel filter at all, and than like I said earlier, just leaks to the carb. Any thoughts?

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Borrow the fuel line from tank to motor from someone with a similar motor, this case an Evinrude. Try it that way... if it runs right, replace your fuel line and bulb. Still don't run, inspect all your fuel lines from the tank to the carbs, paying particular attention around the fuel pump. Disconnect the line going into the carb bowl, crank the engine and watch for fuel delivery. Direct the fuel away from you battery, any bare electrical connections and the guy helping you with a lit cigarette. If you have Insufficient fuel delivery, replace the screen in the fuel pump, and while your doing that, put a rebuild kit in the fuel pump and say yourself some problems later down the road. If the delivery is good, you still have issues with the carbs. Disassemble them real slow and easy...if you don't tear the gaskets or loose parts you may bet away without having to buy a rebuild kit...think for 70 HP Evinrudes they run about $27.00 each and it requires three for a complete rebuild. Once you have eliminated the carbs as a source of the problem, about the only thing you have left is the linkage on the side of the motor. Get the manual and do a link and sync. Also check all the linkage for specific tolerences...may take a lot of reading to find all the info you need, but what the heck, its educational. You should find the problem, its just a drawn out process.

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Most the time it sounds like loss of fuel pressure. Start with fuel line an work up from there imo

4. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks, I give all that a try. Does there need to be a tight seal on everything when I do this? I was just thinking that when I checked the filter, the hose clamps broke and I didn't replace them. Should I put new ones on there to make sure air isn't getting in?

5. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    yes

6. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    This might be a stupid question, but I'm going to ask anyway. This motor has the VRO system on it, is there another fuel pump, or is the VRO pump the only one? I was looking for a new screen for the fuel pump online and couldn't find one.........