wont start

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by grandpa7, May 13, 2009.

1. grandpa7

grandpa7 New Member

State:
    alabama
    I have a 50 hp, 4 cyl merc outboard on my boat. After calling the mercury place I found out it is a 1985. Had a bad gas leak that kept getting worse, leaking gas into the water. Also a major fire hazard. Found the leaks.
    1.--bowl gasket leaking. 2.--bolt that holds on bowl leaking. This is a 2 carb system and naturally it is the bottom carb. Removed carb, replaced gaskets and reinstalled. Now engine won't start. Getting gas-- all four sparkplugs wet. Is it possible that by removing the bottom carb and having to take loose the linkage between the top and bottom carb that the timing is off enough to keep it from starting? If so what is the best way to get it to start and run enough to do a sync and link? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. The seloc manual don't say anything about this. Also hard to see the pictures and follow.:confused2:

2. boohoo222

boohoo222 New Member

State:
    georgia
    if the plugs are wet, theyre not getting fire to plugs, or that wetness is water

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Check the kill switch to see if it is on.

4. grandpa7

grandpa7 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Thanks for the replies. Fooled around for about 3 hrs. and got it to start. Idles and runs as smooth as before. Do I still need to do a link and sync?

5. grandpa7

grandpa7 New Member

State:
    alabama
    And if you do can you use a tub or barrel for the water supply?

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Best bet is to take it to a boat ramp on a day they are not busy. You want the motor actually in the water when you start making adjustments...lync and sync doesn't have to be done with the motor running, but the next thing you always do is to start fine tuning the carbs, and it should be in the water with a slight load on the motor.

Second thing, is for us old guys, we like to know what you did to make it start so we can pass it on to the youngsters when they encounter a similar problem...so, what did you do? LOL