Wondering what size fish could do this?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by McDreamy, Apr 18, 2006.

1. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    I caught a 18lb blue swimming on a small lake in nc this past weekend and when i got it in the boat i notice that another cat had had at least a 1/3 of it in its mouth very recently could anyone give me an estimate of what size fish could have something that size in its mouth.
    Eric

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have seen pictures and videos of cats doing this protecting their nests during spawning. They actually put another cat in their mouth part of the way and lock up for hours sometimes. It was actually kinda neat to see. As far as the size fish you never no. A 25+ could prolly get a 18 pounder in its mouth. It just depends. Its cool though maybe somebody on here has a link to the site or the pictures or something.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I agree with Rob, it could of have been as small as 25lbs and as big as well...I don't know how big. If the 1/3 of its size rule is true, then it was probably around 50lbs. Cats do have big mouths though so it is hard to say.

4. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    man,thats wild, never seen that before.hey eric im here in salisbury also. im on the yakin, high rock lake off leonard rd. where did you catch that big blue?

5. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    dont know how big it was but they fight during spawning and they will lock up like that then wear themselves out and float to the surface to rest. i have a video on blues that shows some good scenes of some that are locked up.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    :waaaht:

Never heard of that. Incredible. Would like to see that some day. Must have been a big one to have an 18 pounder in tow.

7. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    The most frequent occurance I've had with a cat having another fish hanging out of its mouth is on bank poles or trot lines. Some monster 1/2lb - 3lb. comes along gobbles up the bait set, then the larger cat comes along, eats the one already hooked. The strangest part of this is they "always" swallow the hooked fish head first. They tell me thats so the dorsal fin doesn't get caught in the digesting process? I've caught some 25-40lbers. with a fish tale still hanging completely out of its mouth, with only the head of the swallowed fish being 75% digested and the rest looking almost fresh. This has happened to me quite a few times, most often when the rivers are on a dramatic rise.
    Two fer one, still lots a fun.
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.

8. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Had to be a BIG'EN

9. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i forgot what thread it is but one on here has some very interesting disscussion about territorial fighting. i also am one of the people who belive in big bait big fish. i have caught a flathead with a 3 lb blue inside him once.i also caught a big spoonbill on a trot line . he swam by and swallowed a 2 1/2 lb channel that was caught on the trot line. that kind of blows the vegetarian theory all to peices dont it.

10. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    a small lake down below badin off of nc 740 called falls lake its the last lake that alcoa has control of. well man u live right around the corner from me im off of goodman lake rd

11. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i seen a 30lb or so flat grab a 25lb flat by the head once in a holding tank in a *******'s holding tank, dang thing had over half the 25lb'ers head in his mouth! the 25lb fish got too close so the 30lb'er grabbed him, took him across tank, let go, and retuned to his little spot. must have been a teritorial thing. left a cool bite mark on his head too!

12. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I had this happen twice.........I had a limbline set and went to check it. The limb was laying low to the water so I know I had a nice fish on. As I was pulling the line in my bro-in-law with the net in hand said we got a 25lb flathead on. After all the splashing was over we had a 10lb bluecat in the net. The bluecats skin on the lower 1/2 was all roughed up. It looked like someone had rub him down with 80 grit sandpaper. He was still alive also. When we filet him his tail meat was all red and soft.

2nd time we had fish on the stringer tyed to the dock. The kids went down to see what we caught from that night. I heard yelling and screaming coming from the dock. When I get there I see a 10lb flathead laying on the dock!! Problem was we didn't catch any flathead that night. The kids pulled up the string that had a 2lb channel up to see it and the flathead had the channel in it's month. By the time I get down the dock stairs the flathead rolls into the water. The channel was dead from being crushed.

Now when I catch fish I always check just to see if it has been in another month.