wondering what kayak is the best.

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by montgomery#1, Feb 9, 2008.

1. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    wondering what kayak would be the best for under $300-$400. need to know for the summer so i can go on the green. thanks for any help.

2. ggoytia

ggoytia New Member

State:
    Texas, Fort Worth
    Try as many as you can to your weight and length then make the decision

3. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    300 to 400 isn't going to go very far for a kayak. As for a perfrect one theres no such thing. Its just like a car after you get it you'll find more things it could use. It really all comes down to what you want to get out of it.

4. Flathead101Va

Flathead101Va New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I agree with, Creteus.. $300-$400 isn't going to get you much of a kayak, especially if you plan to buy it new.. Most of the off brand kayaks that are suitable for fishing start at the $500 price tag.. Try looking for a used Wilderness System, Tarpon 120 or 140 series Sot yak.

Good luck

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    Ocean Kayak prowler series make good fishing kayaks. Lots of choices out there, try to test drive several before buying.

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Dont go to cheap. If you take good care of your kayak it will last forever. I spent about 10 months looking for a good deal. I was looking for a wilderness systems tarpon 120, 140, 160, or a liquidlogic manta ray 12', 14', or a heritage redfish. From what I read in reviews these were in my opinion the best kayaks for the fishing i wanted to do. I ended up getting a new manta ray 14' for about $600 (normaly $850 new). Its a great boat and I cant wait for warm weather so I can use it again. Look at some kayak fishing sites and read the forums see what yaks everybody likes. Also just so you know liquidlogic no longer makes the manta ray, heritage kayaks does now. Anyway back to my main point, take your time, look for a good deal, wait for GW to send you your tax return if you have to, just dont go too cheap.

7. whodaman

whodaman New Member

State:
    Des Moines Iowa
    if you are new to kayaking you should get a sit on top kayak

8. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    My wife fishes from a LL Manta Ray 14 (Yellow) she can outrun my Big Game but as long as I carry the cooler and bait bucket she don't go far. :roll_eyes: By the way the Manta is a good fishing yak .

9. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    Don't know as much as I would like about kayaks, still shopping for the one that suits me best, but it will say this.....good and cheap are usually mutually exclusive terms. I lean toward saving the cash until I can buy a good item. That usually goes for anything you purchase.

10. dcmielec

dcmielec New Member

State:
    SC
    I spent about a year and a half researching kayaks off and on and recently decided on the Native Manta Ray 14. It's fast, stable, plenty of flush mounting surfaces and can carry a ton. Only downside is the lack of scupper holes in the seat but then again he fishes in a kayak not expecting to get wet. I'd steer clear of Ocean Kayak they have been having some serious quality issues for awhile. Most of my local stores refuse to carry them anymore and even Sportsman Warehouse now has a sign up that you can no longer return kayaks to them instead contact the manufacturer, and they are a major Ocean Outlet.

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    not to familiar with them but my neighbor has one and he loves them

12. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    There should be a Kayka dealer in your area that has a demo day. They are the best way to get into the fun as you can paddle many Kaykas and see witch ones you like the feel of and handel the best for you.

13. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    look at a heritage redfish.

14. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    I agree with Rex. I found a great deal on a Heritage 12' Redfish Angler last year for around $650. Sweet deal.

Part of the savings was due to the fact that I attended a boat demo day, where they offered an extra 10% off their sale price if you purchased on the spot.

Think about it...you go to a boat demo and get to paddle several brands of kayaks to find what suits you. Then, you save money doing so. I wish car dealers did the same! :roll_eyes:

I would not want to purchase a kayak without trying it first. I liked the extra stability of the Redfish, and the comfortable seat, pre-rigged anchor system, and fish holders installed sealed the deal.

15. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Those are some nice boats. I paddle an Ultimate 14.5, but that is more a hybrid boat.

16. Tracker12

Tracker12 New Member

State:
    MD
    I have been using a Wilderness Systems Pungo 14. It has been a great boat. Very stable, pretty manuverable, the open cockpit works great for fishing.

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Welcome on board the BOC, Tony!

:0a25: