wondering if I should buy humingbird 597ci or not, YOUR OPINIONS

Discussion in 'Fish Finder Review and Study' started by roadkill636, Jan 23, 2010.

1. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    Im straddling the fence on buying the hummingbird 597ci . it is at the top of my price range that I would spend, but I dont know if I really need all that it has to offer, I do want the GPS speedometer.I only fish 2 diffrent rivers (Missouri and Mississippi) and 1 large lake (Mark Twain) and dont really ever "get lost" and cant find my way back, but I do like the idea of having all the "toys" navagation features just to play with.
    I have the $ to buy it, and not behind or late on ANY bills or anythingI had a eagle 320 about 7-8 years ago and liked playing with it, but Iv been without a finder science. just thought I might be time for a new toy for the boat this year.
    or do you think I should step down and buy something like the hummingbird 480 for arround $200.

Just open to opinions on weather to get the 597 or 480 model
    [​IMG]
    http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...0200190_250003000_250000000_250003000_250-3-0

or[​IMG]

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Eagle+-...ci_sku=9452255&ref=06&loc=01&id=1218106986644

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    OK............ you guys convinced me,,, I bought the 597 today for $519.99 from Cabellas

3. DanHorsman

DanHorsman New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Have you had a chance to use this locator yet? Bass Pro has it for 499 right now and I am thinking about buying the same one. If you have used it can you give me some pros and cons about it. If you have purchased the Navonics to go with it I am curious as to how well it has worked for you and if it is worth the upgrade.

4. jayhawkokie

jayhawkokie New Member

State:
    Grand Lake Oklahoma
    You will love the Humminbird. I have the 788ci but they are set up similar. What is neat is all you have to do is use the View and Exit buttons to move back and forth to the different views. Once you get used to this it is a piece of cake. Spring for the Navionics card when you get the bucks in hand.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I learned a long time ago that the thicker the owner's manual for a fish finder the less fishing you do and the more finding you do.

6. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    So far,

one of the cons of it is that it don't swivel from side to side,,, only tilts up and down.

and the transducer mount is plastic,,,looks like it will be the part that breaks when hit

Last edited: Apr 6, 2010
  7. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I assume you bought the unit with only the base maps and without a map card. I don't know what rivers you fish, but the HB base maps don't show small rivers and streams well at all, and there is no available software for them that does, to my knowledge. Other than that the 597 is a good unit. I bought a 587 about 6 months ago (earlier version of the 597) and it works just fine on the James River Jets that I put it on. Reads at all speeds and the screen shows detail pretty good. I think you will like yours.

8. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i have 5 series and yours should swivel and tilt. as far as the the transducer mount you'll defiantly want to get the break away kind, as the one that comes with it will break off. the break away just flips up when u hit something with it , thats what happened to mine and why i bought the break away type, and it does work. im upgrading to the 597ci now and cant wait to have the dual beam and a gps so i know what speeds im drifting at.