Wonder Why trotlines with many hooks or jugs are legal to fish with .....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by katfish ken, Jan 10, 2009.

1. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    If trotlines with many hooks or jugs are legal to fish with, why is a person fishing with R/R restricted to 2 poles???? :confused2:

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    now thats a good question.. someone should ask the dnr for that answer

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    ....I guess. We have a legal right to firearms, but we are very regulated to register them let alone proper use. We have a legal right to buy cars, sellers have a legal right to the money. The State/DNR changes fishing & hunting laws all the time, we don't always know which law to keep up with. People do have accidents that are not accidents, while you have the right to be injured.
    After all , it's all legal.

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I fish the Ohio side of the OHIO RIVER at Greenup from time to time and will ask the first time a warden gives me a chance. How many hooks do they allow on trotlines in Ohio???

5. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Stop by the local sporting goods & ask if they have a State copy. A free copy is cheaper than dealing with the CO's!:wink:

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I'd rather see the CO squirm:confused2: When he does not have a good answer:wink::big_smile:

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

As many times as I've been there I'm yet to see one there...Only saw the one last year, that was with you at the KY side of the dam...:confused2:

8. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Yeah this subject really burns me up. And the law should be changed. I'm limited to 2 rods that have to be within my control, but Joe blow can set out 50 limb lines that are unattended. Whats wrong with that picture? I've personally seen limb lines running all along the river, that were not checked every 12 hours as required. Makes me sick.........:0a30:

9. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Its 24 hours on checking them.

10. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    How about we make everything someone doesn't like or think is fair illegal. Some don't have boats and are forced to fish from the bank, so lets make all boat fishing illegal. Not everyone has a fish finder so lets make that illegal too. I personally don't like people drinking beer while fishing, oops that is illegal in most places except private property in Ohio. If people are going to gripe about a legal way to fish then leave the beers at home when going fishing in a public spot first.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  12. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I meant 24 hours. Thanks for correcting it Joe. Told you the subject burns me up....

13. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Jack thankyou. Alright that was back in May of 2008, they were suppose to have a meeting in June of 2008 to discuss it. Do we know of any updates on this issue since then?

14. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jack thank you for the info. I was sitting here wondering Why the law was the way it is in Ohio. Being a resident for a part of my life it kinda feels like home. I guess we will know what they decided when the fishing regs. come out this year maybe.

15. x smokin joe

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
  16. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Sorry Joe that is for 08-09.. I was referring to 09-10 regs.

17. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I never understood the 2 pole limit, when you can set out lines equalling hundreds of hooks. Laws dont make sense sometimes. Like this: why is it illegal to drive a vehicle without a sealtbelt? To force people to keep themselves safe,and prevent death. correct? O-k then why is it perfectly legal to smoke cigarettes and kill yourselves and others? And if drinking and driving is illegal, why do bars have parking lots? LOL Don't try to make sense out of it. The lawmakers are making money. And thats all that matters.

18. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i never understood why i can get a fine for no seatbelt but can ride a motorcycle with no helmet, i'm sure seatbelts save lives but it should be a choice just like the no helmet law:confused2:

19. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    You are right it doesn't make since. Wonder what Mr DNR would say If you labeled a sabiki rig 5 Hooks with a sticker that said, THIS IS a TROTLINE and followed all the rules for trotlining?? Bet he would not have much of a since of humor about that...:big_smile::wink:

20. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    In IN we are allowed to fish with 2 hooks per line. I guess that that means that the sabiki rigs are illegal.:roll_eyes: