Wolverines

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by capt theory, Oct 11, 2007.

1. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    hey all.. now i have something for you that if i didnt see it myself i wouldnt believe it.. but when i was leaving newt graham lock and dam (18) i ran across some animals that i have never seen in my life.. as soon as i came out of the curves leading to the dam area and straightened out on 71st, 5 animals came walking across the road right in front of me.. to the point were i was stopped and they were maybe 10 feet from my vehicle.. this was in plain daylight on a nice day so i got an incredible look at them for about 20 seconds or so.. my camera was in my back pack in the back of the vehicle and i wasnt about to get out of the truck with them that close.. plus it happened to quick. but at first i thought maybe badgers or wolverines because like ive said, i have never seen these animals.. when i got home i got on the ole puter and did a search of the two.. i hate to say it but the badgers in no way whatsoever resembled what i saw.. but the wolverine photos were a dead match.. these things were all brown with "wild" or "rough" looking hair.. they all had a bit of an arch in their backs and the biggest one was just over knee level on me.. the biggest one seemed to be the alpha male because the others were following its every move.. they started to go across and the big one turned back and then turned back again going the direction it was originally heading.. all the smaller ones were mimicking its movements almost exactly.. after reading a bit about them i found that a dominate males territory can be about 200 miles.. so like cougars i could see them wandering a long ways to get themselves territory with a river being a natural route.. i was wondering if anyones seen something like that around there or not.. zach, my fishing buddy, told me thats not the first time hes heard something like that out in that area.. but im telling you guys, i saw this for a bit of time as clear as i possibly could.. and i WOULD NOT want to run into those things on the bank with no weapon and bait sitting right by me.. they looked FREAKIN MEAN!!!! just a heads up my friends..

and im going to jump the gun by saying alot of you are going to say i saw something else or just full of crap. but just tell me this, what was it i saw? and regardless of what they were, i would not want to meet them up close..

2. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma

3. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  4. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yeah, as matter of fact, i have seen those before, over here below the grand river dam, but unfortunatly i saw them only when i was kicking back alot of beers, due to my slowing down of drinking i haven't seen anything interesting lately, haha , just kiddin with ya,,,, who knows what it was, i've seen badgers first hand a few times, even had to run from one, don't you kick yourself for having the camera in the back, i bet next time it's on your dash board

5. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I've never seen that critter around while hunting on L@D 18. I'll be sure to be on the lookout and he better watch out cause I'll be have my bow in hand.:wink:

6. fishnfool68

fishnfool68 New Member

State:
    Near Tulsa Oklahoma
    I'll keep a look out when I'm down there.I had heard wolverines aren't like most of our wildlife,they will fight first and run later.That they are usually in groups as you reported and they will all attack at once.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Not sure if I would be satisfied by just having a bow in hand. That many of them critters calls for a repeater.

8. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Wow is that thing wicked looking! I'd hate to have one of those scratch on my tent while I was camping. I might have to put the bead of the 12ga on him. I bet they could do a number on a cooler full of fillets!:crazy:

9. ESipes_89

ESipes_89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Sure it wasn't a muddy badger. lol

That's pretty amazing that a wolverine would be this far south. They are normally found in Canada and the northern states.

-Eric

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I thought I saw something similar to that at the last Keystone gathering... but as I set back and reflect on it, I realize it was Angelkitty and not that particular animal. But I'll agree, they both looked funny. LOL

11. capt theory

capt theory New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    well if i didnt sit and get such a good look for so long i wouldnt trust myself either. but i watched them as clear as day. something ill say about their behavior was that it reminded me of a documentary on hyenas i think on channel 11. they way they scurried and followed each others movements all excited. i could easily see how things could get out of control after a few quick moves from these fellas.. and in regards of their territory, each family group (and alot of times just solitary animals) have roughly 200 miles of territory per.. and they dont like to overlap territory. so like the cougars we've seen more often now days, they will travel great distances for ideal territory. and rivers being the natural route. and we even have bears now moving up from the south reported in the muskogee area more often. but regardless of who thinks what, i do think a pistol would be a good idea outdoors now. i know its incredibly expensive to get a concealed handgun license, but now its sounding more and more like a bargain.. just food for thought.

have fun today guys..

12. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    They were probably depressed.... looking for Appalachian State.... I know they were way off from Appalachian State, but remember....they are from Michigan!