Wolverine Charter Special - Tiger Blank

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by dreamcatcher, Oct 1, 2006.

1. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

This is an information post only. Today I went to Lakeside Fishing Shop located in St Clair Shores, Michigan. My purpose for going in the store was to see if they had a reel I had seen on the internet (got to love the internet...gets you in trouble every time LOL). Well anyway, I get into this heavy conversation with the proprietor about all sorts of stuff fishing related (he didn't have my reel, nor heard of it LOL), and we started talking about fishing rods. I knew the store carried a bunch of Tiger rods from previous visits. When I told him that I fish for catfish the first place he took me was to the Tiger bin, and started in heavy on the Tiger lite series.

As I've stated in the past catfishing is not extremely popular here, so when these guys want to feature something you have to keep in mind that they have musky, salmon, and other species on their minds. I believe this is why he took me to the Lites instead of the Tigers most trophy cat hunters prefer. The Lites are pretty sweet, and probably all you need for most catfishing situations here, but that was just the beginning.

After he showed me the Lites I was led to the next isle over where he showed me an 8 foot rod that was a see through blank construction (the kind where you can see the graphite ring pattern), and this thing felt like a Tiger Lite with the exception of the length. The color of the rod is maize with blue guide wraps and gold accents. The guides are black with inserts (which is different than a Tiger), but the action is about the same. I say about the same because I have no way to do an exact measurement, but it was very close. The name of this rod is called a Wolverine Charter Special; marketed of course with Michigan University in mind, so this might not be an attractive offer for Buckeye fans! ROTFLOL! This was on the rod in bold with the Shakespeare label along with the wording "Tiger Blank." The rest of the label went on to describe the line test rating like any other rod, although I didn't see anything for lure weight.

Has anyone ever wished for an 8 foot Tiger? Well these particular rods come in 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 foot versions both spinning and baitcasting! It was explained to me that it is some type of exclusivity contract in place to distribute these rods here. I tried to Google the heck out of these rods and couldn't find anything, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Information on Surge catfish rods is difficult to find even today, and was impossible when I first purchased mine a year or so ago. Surge rods are awesome! Anyway, as far as these rods are concerned they are slicker than spit, and merit further research. They range between $40 and $85 depending on the length you want.

If you desire any further information (and you should do further research because I will) PM me and I will give you the number to the tackle shop. As a point of reference, this tackle shop is a fixture in the community, and is quite reputable in selling high dollar items for Michigan's other species. They are definitely not fly by nighters, and I don't work for them in any capacity. LOL. The reason why I am sharing this info with you is I know Tigers are popular here, and maybe someone else may have some insight on this type of marketing with the Shakespeare product. It was to my understanding that even custom builders couldn't get Tiger blanks. In any case, do your research if you're interested.:smile2:

Take care,
    Vic

2. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Oh Vic, You have seen Mecca!

I grew up begging my parents to take me there as a kid, then going there it seemed weekly from the time I got a license till I moved out of the area.

Lakeside is a lil slice of heaven isnt it? :cool2:

I havent seen or heard anything on the rods though- but I havent been in the market for one in a while.

3. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Lakeside is really nice because it seems like such a rarity these days to find a tackle shop that actually sells tackle! ROTFLOL! I had been in Lakeside on a number of occasions when they had the shop in Farmington. This was like my second or third time visiting the shop in St Clair Shores. It is a great bait shop, and set up to cater to all of Michigan's species with flatheads being the exception. They don't carry alot of the heavier gauged hooks and sinkers that we desire as catmen, but you will certainly leave there with a smile on your face. They do specialize in products that you would be hard pressed to find in the corporate chains. That's what I like most about them...

Vic

4. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Vic

Do you have a link to Surge catfish rods, would like to take a look at them.

5. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Gregg, I don't think there is a link that shows a picture of these rods. I just tried to google "Surge fishing rods" with no success. The only visual I can give you is they are white blanks with black guide wraps with silver accents. They have cork handles and trigger reel seats with stainless steel guides. All are 7 foot 10 inches. Some members from the Missouri area are familiar with them along with others if you are interested in getting some insight on them. I don't have a good picture of the rod myself.

Update on the Wolverine rods:

I spoke to Carl (who is really the guy that offers the best customer service), and he informed me that there is no link to these rods. I told him that people need info, especially when you are talking rods that are supposedly Tiger blanks. I know if I lived out of state I wouldn't purchase anything without at least getting pics, specs or something. LOL. He understood my concerns, but simply said that is how the distributor prefers to do business. At any rate, I don't live out of state, so I think that I'm going to give one a whirl the next time I get out that way. For you guys that live in Michigan, Carl has no idea if these rods are distributed elsewhere. I am sure they are...If you call Shakespeare they probably don't know anything about it, but I am going to call them anyway.:big_smile: He also couldn't tell me what the guides were, but the reel seats are Fuji with foam grips that are slightly different than the regular Tiger.

Also, there is no warranty in place for these rods. His feeling was if you break one then you must be trying to break it. Well, anything made my man can break, to include a Tiger. Anyway, talk to him if you have further issues, or stick with your regular burnt orange Tigers.

6. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Surge rod info, pictures, and prices can be seen at catfish_______.com.
    I'm not sure if I can post the name here... but everybody's heard of them...
    just click the fish to enter...

7. bubbajum

bubbajum New Member

State:
    Monongahel
    Dreamcatcher
    bwanatony

Thanks for the info!! I will go and check them out.

8. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Vic, those sound nice. I am interested in them but need someway to see them.

9. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Yes, this is what I told the guy in the tackle shop as well. The next time I go by there (it is about 45 minutes to an hour from my house depending on traffic) I will get some digital shots for you and anyone else out of state that might be interested in them.

Vic

10. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I found some info on the Surge Rods, but dont know about posting the link heh.. I'll just post some info off the site:
    The Surge Trophy Cat Series rods are available in 4 models. All of the rods are 7'10" in length.

[FONT=arial, helvetica]S710HC - HEAVY CASTING
    S710MHC - MEDIUM HEAVY CASTING
    S710HS - HEAVY SPINNING
    S710MHS - MEDIUM HEAVY SPINNING.

By far, the casting are the most popular, and the medium heavy is the most popular of the two casting. The medium heavy is the best all around for most applications.The rods are white, so they are very easy to see at night.

They have cork handles for better grip.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica]Solid stainless steel guides, no inserts to pop out. 11 guides, including the tip so the line doesn't touch the rod
    [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica]The softer tip of the medium heavy rod allows for greater enjoyment because most of the fish caught will range from 3 to 25 lbs, but has the brute strength to handle even the largest of fish easily. The newly certified Virginia state record Blue Catfish, 92.28 lbs., was caught on a Surge Trophy rod.

The softer tip also prevents the highly-sensitive larger fish from feeling the rod and spitting out the bait.

[/FONT]

11. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Hey Tim, can you PM me that link?

Thanks,
    Vic

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    I have 3 of the surge rods and let me tell you the eyes ARE NOT STAINLESS STEEL. They are merely stainless coated brass eyes. CHEAP!!!!!!!!!. The stainless is flaking off. If you need any more info, PM me.

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Demetrius, you definitely hit it out of the park with this quote!:cry: The guides on my rod haven't peeled yet, but upon closer inspection you can see the paint handiwork.:0a13: :0a20: :0a13: No wonder they are able to use 11 rings on each rod! Hmmmm....they are marketing those as stainless too.:hell_boy:

You own three of them, so I take it you still like the rods? Regardless, the folks that made the rods should have been up front about the guides. The guides are the most important components on a rod...The performance of the rod is proven on fish, but the principle behind the false marketing bites.

14. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Catfish Connection describes them as having "coated" stainless guides.

15. IrishO'Brady

IrishO'Brady New Member

State:
    Ga
    Thanks for posting those pics Tim, looks like a nice rod

16. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I ran across one of the Shakespeare Wolverine Charter/Tiger rods on E-bay this morning. It is a 10' rod, and I believe it's a 2 piece rod. There is only like 9 hours left on the auction with no bids and a starting bid of $14.95, I think? The shipping was under $10 I believe. If anyone is interested, here is the item # 230035522065.

17. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Thanks for posting that Ebay announcement. Looking into it now...seems like it might be an older model by the lettering...I will see what the seller says...

18. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Yeah Vic, the rods hold up nicely, just a few things that keep them from being the best out. It did handle a 54lb blue at a tourney over the weekend rather nicely.:cool2:

19. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    What happened to the info from Willy on John Jamisons bluecat poles. I thought the info was good.

20. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It is still good as they are on the market just gotta contact rodmaker and order from him. John will be at several Sport Shows giving Catfish Seminars this winter and he will have some on hand to show . I think I posted the phone number for the rod shop but will give it out in a PM if anyone wants to contact tom at the Rod Shop.