Woe is me!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Old Bill, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Sever months ago I gleefully reported about the hundreds of channel and blue gill fish that the State of Oklahoma had provided me for my small 1-acre pond!

I, at that time, was already planning a grand fish fry when the channel were two years old.

Then in early December I noticed that there were dozens of a new type of duck swiming on the pond. They were so cute diving down and eating moss on the bottom of the pond. I really enjoyed watching them swim around in circles, diving again and again.

For the past two months they spent most days and nights on the pond, and when they weren't there I worried that they had left for good!

Then, GASP! I saw one of the ducks dive and come up with a little fish in it's bill! I quickly found in a bird book a picture of the dang fish stealing ducks! If I am correct the ducks are Ring-Necked Bay Ducks. What are they doing In Oklahoma?

All the time I was watching the dang ducks they were eating my baby catfish and blue gills!:crazy:

Since I now believe most of the baby fish are gone, instead of a fish fry, my thoughts are now turning towards having a huge duck fry...very soon!:wink:

Old Bill

2. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Those dang fish eaters of all kinds will wipe ya out if'n ya don't keepum shot off, just don't tell noone, some of those dang fish eaters are protected :wink:.

3. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    If the Okla Dept of Wildlife doesn't do something about the water turkeys(comarants) we won't have any bait fish left. some of the island on Ft Gibson have lost all the tree from bird roosts.

4. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    way to make the best of a bad situation. I heard cats eat baby birds {LOL}

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    That is for sure! It doesn't take long before the trees die out from all the crap! There used to be a nice stand of trees about a mile from my house that was destroyed in a couple of years by the comarants roosting there.

Most days I have to chase off at least one or two. now I'm chasing the dang ducks.

There is about 3 pairs of tame Mallard ducks that spent a lot of time on my pond. They don't understand why I'm now chasing off the other ducks.

Old Bill

6. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    12 Gauge does a nice job

7. posifour11

posifour11 New Member

State:
    OK
    question 1- are they legal to shoot??

question 2- do you need help??

yes, i'm kinda bored and lookin' for something to shoot. :wink:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Looks like a "DUCK FRY" is in order. :wink: That sucks.

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    are they legal to shoot??

Don't know but if they was destroying my property I'd think they would be.His pond,eating his fish he purchased so his property right.!!

10. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Hey bill, are you selling your boat? If so, have you sold it yet?

11. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    How did you know my boat was advertised for sale?:smile2:

Yes, I put an ad on OKC's craigslist Sunday afternoon and the boat was sold and being towed away by 9:30 Monday morning.

A very nice young man from Noble, OK bought it. It is the first boat he has ever owned, and he got a great boat and almost new motor to start out fishing with a boat.

I hated to sell it, but it was too good a boat and motor to just let sit gathering dust. I hadn't been able to get it on the water since September 2007!:sad2:

Getting old isn't for sissies!:eek:oooh:

Bill

12. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok
    Bill,

When I saw this post it brought a smile to my face. Kind of a small world.

I am the lucky and proud new owner of the boat. It is a very nice boat and you can tell that a lot of time and effort was put into it. It was really a pleasure meeting you and your wife. I plan on having this boat for a really long time. I can’t wait to get it on the water.

You have a very nice place and a beautiful pond and I am sorry to hear that the ducks are messing it up that way.

Jason

13. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Small world indeed!!:smile2:

It's great that you are a member of the this forum. Lot's of very nice helpful people here.

From looking at the mess of fish in your photo, you might not ever need any help, but, if you ever do this is the place to receive it.

It was my pleasure meeting you and your lovely wife.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck with both the use of the boat and, more importantly, the birth of your baby!:003:

Life can be so sweet!

Bill

PS: I forgot to mention this, and you most likely already know this, but it's a good idea to always run the gasoline out of the carb when you are not going to use the boat for a day or so. It's funny, but I can leave gasoline in an old B & S lawnmower motor for months, and it will start right up. But, doing that with any outboard motor is just asking for problems!:crazy:

14. Bullheaded

Bullheaded New Member

State:
    Norman Ok

Well there is always a lot to learn that is for sure. And the posts on this website have given me a lot of good information.

Oh and I will definitely be learning a lot in August when our little one gets here. It will be lots of fun having a little hunting a fishing buddy. And if it is a girl she will probably be a tomboy.

Thanks for that information I will do that each time I plan on not running it for a while. You have been really helpful showing me all the ins and outs of the boat and I really appreciate it.

I wish you and your wife the best of luck also.

Jason

15. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Cool beans! You guys made me smile.:)

I took the plunge today, and bought some little cats. Got 'em in the pond with no fatalaties.

Now, if the cormorants, river otters, and ba$$ will leave my little guys alone, they will have a good life.:smile2:

16. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Guys them dang Cormorants are protected ; they will clean a pond out in no time they are bigbig problems to the catfish farmers in Ar and Ms at one time they were trying to scare them of with loud noises If you have to shoot them i would keep ouiet About it. you can use fireworks gun shots etc but nothing works like downing a couple.:0a26:

17. baptistpreach

baptistpreach New Member

State:
    Oklahoma!
    Bill, I've enjoyed some of your posts on ............. , and recongnized the boat when I saw it in the ad. Sorry to hear you sold it, but it seems like you sold it to a great guy! I was going to inquire about the motor!