Woa! Feeding frenzy In my creek!

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by lilrivercatman, May 20, 2007.

1. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Today I was messing around in our cupboards and got the idea to make an experement doughball so I took some flour and some yellow cornmeal about half and half and a little bit of water and put it all in a little bowl. Then I kneeded it all together into a ball and threw it in to the minnnows in my creek. At first they all swam away because the splash but about 5 mins later I came back to check on the ball and there was a huge ball of minnows around the cornmeal flour mix pecking at it and eating it! Has anyone ever tried using this mix as a chum or bait for a minnow trap? I think it should work for carp too.

2. criggster

criggster New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I used to make a similar concoction as a kid for trapping minnows. I can't remember the exact measurements, but I used flour, corn meal, water, and rice. Stirred it all together, placed it in a bread bag and tied it tight, and put it in a pot of boiling water for fifteen minutes. The boiling helps bake it and causes it to stick together better. It was the only thing I used in my traps, and it worked good.

3. BoxxerBoyDrew

BoxxerBoyDrew New Member

State:
    Woodway, Texas
    Great Idea!! I will have to give both ideas a try!!

Thanks,
    Drew

4. irishpride42

irishpride42 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yep we used something to that extent to cathc mud minnows in a minnow trap at the outer banks for flounder fishing

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    we used to mix it up like that but would add garlic powder to catch carp it worked quite well