wnc trout fishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by powerwagon, Aug 3, 2009.

1. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Going to the blue ridge parkway next week and would like to get in to some trout fishing.Has any one did any fishing in the mountains on here?Can you tell me a good creek or lake to try? any info would be great

CNR

2. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Colton, I've done some trout fishing in Ashe County in Big Horse Creek. The fishing was good but that was in April. If you don't have the trout waters book you really should get one. The laws are very specific as to catch and release, natural vs artificial baits etc. The laws often vary from one side of a bridge to the other. Wouldn't want your trip to end up costing you a fine. Good luck.

3. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    I trout fish Cherokee often . Thats a good fishery , they stock twice a week and you can sometimes get a few native fish . They want you to keep every fish you catch up there . I personally have caught a five and a half pounder up there in the stream , and many many more good sized fish . You can catch them from downtown Cherokee to the top of the mountain . But you better have a licence . It's an easy place to fish and you always catch fish with a little amount of work . You can catch them on trout bait and lures such as spiners or even wax worms . Good luck :wink::big_smile:

4. powerwagon

powerwagon New Member

State:
    north carolina
    do i need a licence to fish trout?other than my sportsman licence

5. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    if u fish on the indain resv.all u need is their license ,but that just good on the ressv.

6. catfishhunter2009

catfishhunter2009 New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Yes you have to get a license for the tribal waters . But you have a good veriety of fishing . You can fish the big waters , the KOA ponds or the stream that runs from the top of the Mt. . If you have a fly rod you can fish anywhere there , If your throwin spiners theres two areas you can't fish , and they are well marked . I personaly walk the stream for about a 4-5 mile stretch and fish downtown with spinners . But anywhere you can get a license ask the for a set of the regs and they should have them for you . I use orange power bait with the glitter in it and a veriety of spinners from one-sixteenth to one-quarter ounce , gold on gold , and the panther martins mainley black on gold and yellow with silver or gold spinners . Hope this helps you out and good luck .

Nick :big_smile::wink::big_smile: