WMA Hunting

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by bmaultbay, Aug 20, 2006.

1. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Anyone ever hunted the WMA's? I applied for two hunts and was awarded them. Was reading the 2006 hunting and trapping guide, not real clear. I possess a sportsmans license, so I believe I do not need to purchase any other license, but am I required to register at the particular WMA office before entering? One of them is access by water only, any ideas on securing a boat to shore before entering woods to hunt, this one should be interesting. Just looking for some new grounds to hunt, so I thought I would give these a try.

2. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am wanting to get back into hunting but you have lost me. What is a WMA hunt and can anybody get an area. I guess I need to learn about public land to hunt.
    Wish I could help you, I'll be watching here hoping to learn something.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Wild Life Management areas. They have "drawings" for quota and non-quota hunts. Depending upon the type of license you possess you may not have to pay any additional fees or purchase any additional permits. The drawings are for specific dates. Check out the TWRA website. I feel very fortunate to have been drawn, I am definitely going to hunt these areas.

4. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks I'll check it out. I would like to find someplace where I could camp.
    Do you know of any leases.

5. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    A lot of these lands will allow you to camp, you can also get that info from the TWRA website. http://www.state.tn.us/twra/ Of course most require that guns be encased while in camp. There are also hunting clubs out there that lease land year round. And actually the prices for membership aren't that bad, considering you may have over 26,000 acres to hunt across the state year round, and yes, some allow camping. Unfortunetly I travel with my job, a lot, so I am not a member of one of those clubs, but I have researched and talked to some of the members. I have additional info if you wish.

6. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Brian, I have hunted them for years. Different Areas and sometimes different hunts have different rules. Some you must sign in and out dailey, some only in once and so on.
    Congratulations on your draw. When the hunting regulations pamphlet is printed you can look there for the latest info on each hunt. There are special tagging rules also and some areas have antler restrictions. So do your homework and have fun.
    If you still have questions, there is a contact number listed for every area, call them and they will help.
    What hunts were you drawn for? Be Safe,
    Jeff

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Brian, I would like to here more about the year round lease, I"ll send you a PM with my e-mail...Thanks

8. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    I have the Cheatham Lake/Pardue Pond Refuge and the Laurel Hill areas. Found them both on the map, really excited to hunt these areas. I plan to take a run out to each when I return home just to see what and where they are. Thanks for the info.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    glad to hear that you got the wma hunts. a friend of mine received a hunt from fort knox a few years back. he harvested a 14 point buck. good luck to you and hope you do even better than him!

10. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Brian, I have hunted and fished Laurel Hill since 1989. There are some big deer there, I of course have'nt bagged anything big but a few does and turkeys, squirrels. I think they changed the regulations a few years ago and bucks have to have 9 or more points. I have seen a few monsters come out of there. I would recommed you do some scouting and be prepared to walk some distance. Good Luck

Craig