Withholding info - Fill out your profiles!!

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by duxsrus, Mar 19, 2006.

1. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I'm not trying to start anything here but I was just curious about something. Just wondering why some people won't put in their complete (first & last) name or their city and state in their profile. I feel the BOC is a safe place with honest members and besides, no one is asking for addresses, phone numbers or SSN's.
    I saw a brother asking about a fishing partner last night but I didn't bother persuing it because just the state was listed. I live in a "tri-state" area therfore just saying OH, KY or IN is pretty vague. It's a LONG way for me to get to the other side of any of these states.
    Putting in a city and state just might get you something someday.;)

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That is a question I have often had but maybe they have been burned or somthing before so to all that the above post fits you are among friends here yoou are safe

3. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Some people are closed mouth about things like there info.
    That their right by the BOC rules we may all be curious but they have that right.Just like r ward said they may have been burned before.And about people sharing their Avatar with others some may not understand how to upload it or size it for posting.I know when I first came to the BOC it took me a couple of weeks to learn how to do some of the things here.But there is nothing to be ashamed of .All some has to do is ask and some one will be glad to help.Here is a link to a resizing software that is a free download it works great.

http://bluefive.pair.com/pixresizer.htm

Ace :cat:

4. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was hesitant at first about putting my name on here due to what I do for a living, but I got thinking, shoot so many know my name anyways, I figured it didnt matter.

5. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Why would being door greeter at "wally world" make a difference, LMAO!!!J/K

I agree!!! This is one of the safest sites I have seen on the net, and the moderators do a good job keeping it that way for us.

6. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I do not care about any ones name But I do care where a person is from. I live in Il right across the river from missouri. If a person puts on their profile that they are from missouri or il, that dosn/t tell me much. They could still be 300 miles either way from me. I like to go in the mo and Il rooms to talk about local conditions , as I/m sure people from other areas want to talk about their local conditions.

Now don/t get me wrong I also like to hear about fishing from other places but since I fish here it is my primary concern.

7. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The door greeter at Walmart WAS my cover, but now thanks to ole' JW the Feds are now going to have to find something new for me & relocate my family and I AGAIN! :sad:

Just think all this because I helped take down that group of........... Well none of that really matters! ;)

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The first thing I look at for is where the person lives.

Sometimes, I address a post by using the person's first name. Myself, I see no need in posting last names.

I like that the first name has been added under the avatar. I'd added mine to my signature some time ago.

After all, anyone can use a fake name if they choose. ;)

9. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Then there is the member map, lol! You can zoom in on the boat in my back yard! Good thing I have nothing to hide!;)

10. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    I agree with you wolfman. It could be some has beened burned. As for me, I had put my first name many years ago. But to be honest, I do not feel comfortable (specially in my line of work) to post my last name and address. The WWW is a giant highway of info and like Wolfman said, if someone want to turn your whole world upside down, then with the right info, they could. I PM california folks to see if they are close to me and see if they want to toss out and wet a line sometime. It's not paranoia, it is safety. The criminal I work with could really do some harm not only to me, but to my family as well.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Robb,

It sounds like you have a legit right to be concerned. Stay safe my friend.

12. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I encourage all members to share their info so the other members can get to know them a little better. But, if they choose not to share I can respect their privacy. It was stated in another post about Paul updating the software for security purposes. I trust Paul to keep our info safe, but that is my decision.