with the cold weather...

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by xposedguts, Oct 15, 2007.

1. xposedguts

xposedguts New Member

State:
    Illinois
    With the colder weather I think the channels in the lake i fish are moving to deeper holes because action has slowed down/stoped for me, i fish right off a dock so its pretty shallow water. When should the fishing start to pick up again? If i had a boat and a chance to fish deeper areas would i have more luck? Because i always hear fall is good for channels. The nights have gotten in the 30s and the water is cooling down a good amount.

2. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi. i have never owned a boat i bet if you do some scouting youll find some holes-just tie on a weight and start casting to diffrent areas-deep holes that are close to shallow flats are best-also go down to 15 lb, test its all you need and will greatly improve your casting distance-you might need it!im fishing 35 feet of water next to shallow flat area and doing quite well-gl to you son!

3. terrycook3

terrycook3 New Member

State:
    minnsota
    hi. they also have the smartcast fishfinder which i use as a tool to scout out new spots-its around 100.00 but has been very helpful to me-it also shows depth and structure! gl

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try the outside bends of your lakes and rivers generaly those have deep holes in them,especally if they have structure around.And you can still find them around the mouth of those feeder creeks to.

5. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I thought the same xposedguts that they would be moving to deeper parts by now. I ran into one of the regulars and his son(one i believe lol) and he told me they where nailing them using small bait fish that he had caught. I saw a ton of small baitfish swimming on the surface. Didn't have that Sabiki rig on me that I wanted to try out....:sad2: Told me they where bigger than the ones we where catching just a few weeks back. Then again the temps here have been a little above normal for the most part. So I guess this is where maybe changing baits will probably work.

6. Vonroc

Vonroc New Member

State:
    Central Ohio
    Fish deep water, cast as far as you can, use some good cut bait - shad. Find a map of the water you fish look for deep channels that you can cast to. Many of the reservoirs I fish start lowering the water for winter pool levels. I cast as far as I can hitting deeper water. Secure your poles , the big boys are on the prowl for an easy meal. I always catch big fish in the colder months in Ohio. Don't be afraid to fish at night just dress warm. Night time works the best for me , however they still can be caught in daylight hours. Many smaller cats can be caught in shallower water , but the big boys are deep.

FISH DEEP WATER

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Since the weather has been so strange im still catching them right beside the bank.Not quit as many mind you but still a good amount,i guess right now its what part of the country your in but generaly there going deep about now.

8. CatfishHntr

CatfishHntr New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got some Saltwater setup's! Strictly 4 catti'n. Conventional reel's 15#-17# Big Game backing with shock leader of 40#'s. Will throw a mile. 150+ yard's with bait. Good Luck!