With Capt Hugh on the James

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by BIG GEORGE, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    We met up with Hugh at 6:30 am as instructed. First thing that greeted ya at the ramp was a sign about "BLACK VULTURES" and how they will eat your truck at times. HMMM! I'm thinkin, "I sure hope the fish have the same attitude" We started the day out breakin stones and crackin on each other rite away. I knew I was in my element. The jokes were flyin and we took no prisoners. Now came the get some bait process. Hugh was tellin us about all the herring that was available just the day before when they killed the cats. We started jiggin for them from one spot to another. We jigged and jigged and jigged and jigged. Did I say we jigged? Nothin but perch. Threw the cast net and set the gill net a few times. Got a few shad a carp a large mouth and a bunch of "DINK" blues. I'm thinkin and sayin "COOL" I guess I should have left my rods at home if this is cattin on the James. After about 4 hours of this we then set up to cattin in a way that I am familiar with. Rod,reel,line,sinker,hook and bait. Did I mention we jigged for a while? We tryed and tryed and tryed. Got a few in the 2 to 4 pound range for most of the day. Then somethin very surprisein happened. I got a vicious run on my "OKUMA" reel. I'm thinkin OK its game time. Take the rod outa the holder engauge the reel off of free spool and cross its eyes. The reel now sounds like a coffee grinder that needs fixin. NO FISH! I get the line in and I'm puttin on a show that had words that Hugh and Randy never heard. I took the reel off the rod and tossed it into the river. Ya shoulda seen the look on thier faces. That was it for the day. Nothin else touched my rods from then on. The fella I took with me managed to hook up with a 17 pounder. His biggest cat ever so he was happy. Did I mention we jigged for herring? We went from spot to spot. Each with its own story of hogs that have come from there. Well they must have been evicted. Cause the only hogs in the boat today was the two wide bodies in the back of the boat, me and Hugh. Hugh kept swingin the bat and we set a new strike out record for his boat. Fishin be that way sometime. No twenty pounder so we got a free trip that we are gonna use at nite in July. Sure hope we get to jig some more. That was a blast. Never did get to see the good captain in action with the "BUCKET". It was a good time and we had lots of laughs and I got real good with jiggin a sabiki rig. Sometime we will have to get Randy and I to sing the song we produced about the good captain. Thanx for the laughs and finally allowin us to eat when I was about to pass out from a diabetic coma comein on. LOL!

JIGGIN WITH CAPT HUGH AIN'T NOTHIN LIKE IT! LOL!

Heres a pic of the days "BIG" fish. LOL! It was my buddys biggest cat. He was thrilled. Hes a bass fisherman. LOL!

Attached Files:

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    It looks like Capt Hugh is the way to go on the James. I'll have to try it out some time.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    To funny, but I recognize that spot!!Hugh told me and Mac that he has a tame 17lber that lives there he has trained to bite on demand.Only takes rookies and newbies there to see if they can handle the gear.Usually tests them out on Sabiki rigs first.:big_smile::smile2:OK next adventure will be a Joint effort,which means together not bring your own.Lets see if a combined assault by troops from the North and South can conquer those James Hogs.:crazy::roll_eyes::big_smile:

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like alot of good b/s ing on the water... I look forward to getting to fish with the Capt. and randy myself hopefully soon....rollo

5. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have heard that them James River Blue Cats don't like "Joisy" guys! :wink: I guess this proves it! :smile2:

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    All that talking must have scared the fish away......:wink:

Better luck in July!

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Big George Thank's for the post.Now Heres My take on Just what Happened and Why.You see Sir.Your Name and Catin Skills are known Far and Wide from Coast to Coast as a matter of fact,and I think some Wesel let the cat out of the bag that You would be fishing the river that day with Captin Hugh and them Fish were Skert to Death to Feed that Day. You could of used Gernades for Bait and Not done any Better,The Price a Man has to Pay when Hes on top of the Heap Right.Oh Well BG Your Still Our HERO. J.D.:wink:

8. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I guess that's why they call it fishin!!!! Like u haven't heard that before right!! I'm sure you'll get a hog next time, just don't go in expecting anything & u'll get it:wink: That's what i do:wink::smile2:

9. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Shoulda thought of that. It works with my Mrs. LOL!:crazy:

10. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i hear u there, whenu least expect it!!!

11. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    George, next time you go out with Capt. Hugh's, I would like to go along, just to listen to the BS. I will even pay my fair share of the fee for the entertainment. But, there is a but, you have to bring some of your own fishing gear, so I can see you chunck it! Also, it has to be when my bladder is functioning the way it should, I would hate to wet my pants.

It appears that JD knows you better than the rest of us. If JD is right, maybe you should schedule the next trip when you are in a slump and not on the top of your game.

12. jigerjim

jigerjim Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Look's to me you dident do enough jigging:wink:

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking fish thank you for sharing the pictures with us

14. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice fish, Big George, tell you buddy welcome to the catfishing club.

15. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    Thanks for the report. Our time will come this year.:wink:

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I am shore glad them James Cats like Ohioans better than Joisy boyz an' Carolina rigs lol!

You'll get them next time fellas!

17. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <just don't go in expecting anything & u'll get it:wink: That's what i do:wink::smile2:>

I hear ya willcat! That's what I do too. Everytime I go with high expectations, I don't do squat. Then, suddenly on a day when you least expect to catch fish, wham, it happens!
    BB in SC