Wister Lake Dam

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by whisker chunk, Jun 21, 2009.

1. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Im just wondering if anyone knows a consistent method of catching cats below the Wister Dam? Ive tried all different types of rigs including slip bobber, slip sinker, and fixed sinker but none of them seems to work consistently. Ive fished different baits and Ive fished different water levels but no pattern is evident so if anyone can help that would be great. THANKS.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    The state record (pending) flathead came out of there last weekend on redworms fished on the bottom. The story was in todays Tulsa World paper. I haven't fished there in 30 yrs. Some of the guys on here that live down there can give you info.

3. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I never been to Wister lake before, but I have heard that many people were caught flatheads on snagging below the Wister Dam? Not sure if it was true.. I know that you can keep flatheads catfish if caught on snagging but can't keep any channel or blue catfish..

4. Mudbug007

Mudbug007 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Noodler, I'd check the regs about snagging Flathead. OK has them classified as Game fish just like Blues and Channels.

I don't have a copy at my fingertips or I'd check.

Don

5. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Flatheads are non-game fish in Ok. Where snagging is allowed, they are fair game.

6. Noodler87

Noodler87 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes Flatheads are non-game fish.. I snagged a 15 lbs flathead at below Kaw Dam (1,000 ft away from dam) and a game warden were checking on everybody's fishing licenses while i reel-in a flathead and i was about to put it back in water, the warden said "you know that you can keep the flathead because its non-game fish" so i kept it anyway!

7. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Wister is one of the oldest lakes in OK. Over the years it's probably been the best Flathead lake in the state. I haven't noodled it in years, but it's a good lake for noodlers.

8. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    When I was in college in 1974 we did a survey on Lake Wister. The largest flathead we got was 63 lbs. Had several between 25-40 lbs. largest bass was 11 lbs. A lot of carp and buffalo 20-30 lbs we only had 300 yds of net out. All of the fish were released.

9. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    I live about 2 miles from the dam here in Wister. I just started fishing it this year. Haven't caught any monsters out of it yet, just 5lb channel cats.

10. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Anyone catchin anything below wister dam? thought about going out there and trying for a big flattie tomorrow.

11. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    I've been there alot, not catching anything but small channels. Might be there tomorrow too if the rain holds off.

12. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Are ya able to catch shad down there?

13. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    I don't own a cast net. I just buy it already cut from the local bait shop. The convinence store on the north side of town has it too for alittle bit cheaper. I'm sure there's shad around though, at night the water around the fishing dock on the lake looks like it's raining theres so many of them jumping around.

14. whisker chunk

whisker chunk New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The dock on quarry island?

15. OkieOFT

OkieOFT New Member

State:
    Wister, Oklahoma
    Yep, I don't ever catch anything over there but it's nice just to throw a crankbait out every once in awhile. I need a damn boat.