Wish me luck!

Discussion in 'Boating' started by rebcatman, Mar 15, 2007.

1. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I am picking up my new boat this Saturday at the dealership and will then take it to the storage lot. I have never towed a boat before, so I am a bit intimidated with the prospect of doing it for the first time. I plan to take the boat out the following weekend, and will have an experienced boater with me then.

If anyone living in the Northern VA area wants to help me out in the future:big_smile: in exchange for a boat trip, let me know.

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Congrats on your first boat. Since you have not towed before take it slow till you get used to your tow rig and trailer. Before you know it you will be running to lakes and rivers like a pro. Be safe and have fun.

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Intimidation and respect are good qualitys. Fear is not. My opinion for what its worth would be to have someone with ya that knows about hookin up a trailer to your vehicle with ya for that virgin run. That and get to a large empty lot to practice maneuvering the trailer backwards and forwards. This will perhaps save you a potential ass whoopin when you are launchin the boat for the first time.

Wish ya nothin but the best with your new boat.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Acceleration and braking are the big differences to your vehicle when towing. The extra weight will make it start off slower and stop slower. Be sure to give yourself a bit more time and distance for instance when you are pulling out onto a busy road or approaching a stop light...W

5. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    All good advice above. All I can add is; pay attention to off tracking in tight spots. It can get tricky if you're not used to accounting for it.

Jon

6. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeff, congratulations and the very best luck with your new boat!

I couldn't give you any help with towing a boat. I've owned three but never towed them... well, I did tow a camper with a boat on top of it. :smile2:

Just take it easy and you'll do fine.

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    If you have someone else launch it for you... just dock or park the boat. Then practice backing down just the trailer. It will be a little harder to see without the boat on it, but if something does go wrong... well you only damaged the trailer. Just a thought.

8. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I would pull it to a large parking lot during off hours and practice backing.

Use the painted lines to learn your turning radius.

9. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    All good advice, congrats on the new boat. Take her slow and easy, at least untill you got the hang of it. Make wide turns.

10. arja4444

arja4444 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Can't add much to what's been said. Just repeat to take it easy and try to get some practice backing the trailor. It's easier than you might think. It'll all come to you in a little time.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tom congrats on your new boat. Always think safety first. Equip it well and enjoy that maiden voyage. Don't be ashamed to ask for experienced help. Good Luck.:lol: :big_smile:

12. JACKSON

JACKSON New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on the boat.Enjoy it. Take all the advise that was given.

13. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    A few days late, but I finally picked the boat up today, and made it safely to the storage lot. Now, if the weather holds up on Saturday....

14. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Pics? What kind of boat did you get?

Congrats!...mine will be arriving very shortly too. I know the excitement of wanting to get out on the water ASAP!

15. drcatfish14

drcatfish14 New Member

State:
    indiana
    Good luck with the new boat,Tom!

16. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    Josh,

You don't know how badly I want to hit the water. I purchased the boat in December, so I have had a lot of time to think about the first trip, first fish etc. It is a crestliner. How about yours?

17. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I guess you can't post the same picture in two different threads. if you visit the Virginia local talk, and look under "looking for boat partner" you will see a picture of it.

18. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Plenty of good advice above. Aside from whats been said it will become second nature in short fashion.

19. mspratt

mspratt New Member

State:
    missouri
    There is a little trick u can use to help ur self when backing the trailer up.Keep both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel,When u move ur hands to the right ur trailer will turn right,and viceversa to go left.Keeping ur hands on top of the steeing wheel will have the opposite effect.Good luck:eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

20. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    I hate to have to pay for that recovery.