Wiring warning horn

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by my4x4awd, Aug 29, 2006.

1. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    1986 Starcraft with 70 hp Evinrude it has OMC contols. I have figured out almost all of the wiring execpt the warning horn. I have discovered that the prior owner put in a horn button and they disconnected the temp/VRO alarm wire. Tell me if I have this correct. The brown temp wire is connected to the VRO and goes up to the console. But the harness only has a white/brown stripe and black/white or yellow stripe going to the console. So does one side of the horn always have positive and then the ground is applied when the temp/VRO goes off? Can somebody help me out.

Craig

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

I'll have to find my book and see which way it is routed while including a VRO. that black with a yellow strip should be your kill switch. I think the white with brown strip goes to the starter solenoid. The temp switch itself will apply the ground when activated. You can activate it when you take a Sharp light tester and stick it into the brown wire and hook the other end to a ground.
    Do you have a wiring diag for that motor if not I will try to locate one.

3. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Black wire with yellow stripe is the kill switch wire.

Yellow wire with red stripe is the nuetral safety wire from the control handle/switch to the soleniod.

All tan wires with or without stripes are warning system wires.

The tan wire at the console would be the wire to use for the warning horn, that and a black ground wire

The tan wire may have a white or blue strip on it.

When the warning system goes to ground/closes the circuit due to a malfuntion, it will sound the warning horn.

All this is done through the tan wires.

4. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Man yall are quick. I'll look again but I dont think there were any tan wires??? There were three in the harness to the contol and two dropped out to the console. Another one comming from the front of the control back to the console. I'll take pictures the next day or two. Also willard didnt you say you know where I can order a OEM manual for my 1986 Evinrude 70 Hp?

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep I sure do and I will post that link for you tomorrow. or pm it to you.

Bob I thank you for steping in and giving us that ole sharp mind of yours. I think Mine is on vacation here latley and forgot to take my body with it.:big_smile: :big_smile:

6. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    "Man yall are quick."

Yeah, that's what she said:boss:

7. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Im pretty good at wiring stuff but Im still stumped. There is an eight wire harness #1 from the engine to the contols. Then one HOT wire from the front of the control to the top of the trim gauge.

The other 3 wire harness from the contol is for the trim button and goes back to the engine on harness #2.

Harness #2 from the engine has five wires. Like I said Three route the trim back to the engine. The other two are the power and ground for the trim gauge.

So basically It doesnt appear that there ever was a horn. But....Since it has a three wire VRO and temp switch...I thought it should have a horn.

Do these relays on top of the engine have anything do do with the horn.

Attached Files:

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Craig if you still have my e-mail addy mail me a full size picture of those so I can see them better. I am getting old and I have about completed the blind and dumb stage.:big_smile:

9. my4x4awd

my4x4awd New Member

State:
    TN
    Well, I didnt know the horn is in the contols! DUH! I was looking for a lanyard and saw the horn in the parts catalog. Now I can troubleshoot this thing, Yea! The horn i was looking at is really a horn as in signal here I come. I guess you all knew that anyway, I should have been clearer.

Thanks Craig

10. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    The day I answered was the day I rewired a warning horn on a boat with Merc power. It was under the console.

J/E warning horns were put in the control box. Oops, fergot to tell you:embarassed:

That comes from working on all makes of outboards. Sometimes I do 3 different makes in a day, then throw in a stern drive. They sometimes run together when I'm sitting here.