Wiring the radio on the boat

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bigblaze, Jul 27, 2006.

1. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    I have two inline fuse holders, one built in the radio and one at the battery.

My question is should I hook up the radio to the trolling motor battery or to the starting battery...I can wire directly to the trolling motor battery post or I can wire it into the control panel which would run off the starting battery.

Thanks,
    John.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I would wire it into the fuse panel.

3. gater460

gater460 New Member

State:
    eldon,mo
    i would wire it into the trolling batt. dont want to run the engine batt. down

4. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I'm with gator wire it to your trolling bat. A stereo can take a battery down pretty quick (depending on how loud and how many speakers. Make sure you fuse it.
    Bill

5. jaybird78

jaybird78 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yea Wire it to your trolling bat it does run your bat down quick. Been there sucks to try to fire your motor up and not enough juice to turn it over.

6. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    if you have the choice never add anything else to the starting battery.
    rowing up river with one oar is not a place to be.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I agree with the trolling motor battery.

Personally, I don't use the starting motor for anything except cranking power. I have a seperate battery for all my power needs, lights, depthfinder, aerators, radios, etc., and another battery for the trolling motor. I just like have the redundant systems there for long nights out on the water.

Remember, batteries never fail on a calm partly cloudy day. They fail in high winds, 3-4 swells, with an approaching thunderstorm!

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Guys I suggested the starting battery because it gets charged up when the motor is running. You can do like I do. I have a 1100 cranking amp battery for a start battery. I also have a perko switch so I can swap from one battery to another without taking cables loose. I also have a 5x5 on board charger that stays pluged up 24-7 while the boat sets waiting for its return to the water. You can also install a meter that will at the flip of a switch tell you how much energy you have left in each battery not voltage but power left in it.

9. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Williard,

I am by no means an expert but I thought that only newer motors had those I mean after 1980 or so, I also thought that the motor just but back what it used.

I'm probally wrong But I thought I would ask?

I like reading all this boat stuff.

Josh

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Josh you can add all this stuff I have on any motor that has a charging system. The perko switch is mainly used to switch bateries if you want to instead of moving cables.

11. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Thanks for all the input....

I was leaning toward hooking it up to the trolling motor battery ( thats the way I have it now)

I had considered all the bad scenarios that could happen on the water and I figured I would rather have a dead trolling motor battery than starting battery...

I like the battery switch but I bought the boat new and that wasn't an option...The boat is a center console and the batteries are about 5' from each other.

I also hook up my trolling motor (deep cycle) to a battery tender when not in use and I also cary a 10' set of heavy duty jumper cables in the boat just in case.