wiring a 24 volt Trolling motor

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by great pappy cat, Oct 27, 2009.

1. great pappy cat

great pappy cat Active Member

State:
    P.A
    I got my 24 volt system wired up so I can run 12v as well. I've got that covered. Can someone tell me where to connect the 2nd bank of my 2 bank charger (the other bank is for my starting battery). My guess is where the 24V trolling motor is connected.:confused2:. Id like to charge them simaltainiously instead of individually. I attempted a quick scemadic scetch but it will not upload.

2. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    I'm not sure how the diagram is but i think you have to isolate the two batteries before charging.

3. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
  4. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    no. you have to charge each batery. if you have 2 bat. you need a 2 bank charger 0r 3 bat. you need 3 bank charger.

5. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Thank you, but why dont they make a 4 bank charger for those with a 36V trolling motor. Its going to take forever to charge all my batterys:confused2:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    If your starting battery's ONLY duty is to start the motor (a good practice) then it will charge just fine off of your motor's alternator. No need to top it off with your automatic charging bank.

That leaves your two-bank charger able to handle both of your auxiliary batteries.

One problem with your wiring that I can see........use the lower-bank battery (the one with the least negative or ground potential) in the series to connect your twelve volts for the boat's accessories. Otherwise (the way it is wired now) you will have components operating with a different ground potential which can cause some serious issues for those few components that might have a chassis ground such as VHF Radios and antenna bases, stereo's etc...... If you think about it a bit, the ground of your current 12v system is at a potential of 12vdc relative to the lower battery. If you would happen to connect any additional accessories to the other 12v battery bad things could happen as in smoked wires etc.....

It is good practice to have ALL of your boat's equipment at the same GROUND POTENTIAL!!!

EDIT: I forgot to address your charging question. You need to run a separate charging bank to each battery of your 24v system. The grounds of each charging bank are isolated grounds. I believe you were considering hooking up a 12v bank to the 24v terminals.....that would be BAD!

As stated earlier, your starting battery does not need topped off with the charging bank if you have an alternator on your outboard and that battery's ONLY duty is to start the motor..

Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  7. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    You can only charge 2 batteries with a 2 bank charger, each of the leeds coming from the charger ONLY goes to the + & - of ONE battery. if you have already toched the positive cable to battery #1 and the negative cable to battery #2 you just sent 24 volts backwards into the charger and most likely fried it

I would sugest only using the two bank charger for only the trooling batteries
    these bank chargers put out 12 volts only therfore each wire comming out of the charger must only go to 1 battrey

YES they do make 4 bank chargers !! 3 leeds going to each of the batteries for 36v trollers and 1 for the starting batery

what model of charger did you get?

wiring link below
    http://www.pmariner.com/zoomin.php?fileName=protournament.jpg

8. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    what outboard are you using,, it probally has a 30 amp or better alternater for the starting battery

9. great pappy cat

State:
    P.A
    Thanks for the help guys. Im glad I asked:eek:oooh:. So... to make sure I got this strait,I will flip my 12v accessorys to the other battery in the drawing I made. Thanks Skipeye. I have a 2006 115/80 yamaha jet wich should charge the starting battery fine. I'll use my 2 bank charger, 1 bank for each battery individual. Great info guys, I would have fried my charger for sure. This is temperary to get my new trolling motor working untill Jan some time. I hope to move the batterys up front to better distribute the weight.

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sounds like you are on the right track to me.

11. catwhisper

catwhisper New Member

State:
    georgia
    Do you have to disconnect the two bateries in series when charging?

12. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    No you do not have to disconnect anything. All you have to do is come home and plug it in, everything is automatic after that.