wirenet traps in current

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Bayoubear, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    was wondering if anyone had any ideas on placement of wirenet traps in current. i usually put them in backwaters or riverlakes but now am running them in the river proper. horizontally suspended two feet above a sandy bottom in about twenty feet plus of water. normal lazy late summer current.

not as productive as they are in still waters but a lot closer to my trotlines. suggestions to increase net productivity appreciated.

thanks
    chad

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have hung up on many wire traps,in rivers and creeks,while fishing.They were all on bottom,and the mouth faceing downstream.Some were baited,and some not.I saw a few hoop traps made out of netting,being run in the South Carolina side of the Savannah river years ago,when it was legal.(I think)All 3 times,the mouth was downstream.I have been told that this keeps trash in the current,from choking up the throat of the trap,and that fish swim upstream.My personel traping was at Santee Cooper in the 50,s.In still water,fishing structure,without hanging up and losing your trap,or trotline seemed to be the secret.South Carolina game wordens were a source of much of what I learned.I have learned much from state and federal officers about local hunting and fishing..From Maine to Florida,I found most,nice people and very helpful,in any way that they could.peewee-williams

3. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Are those traps your setting meant for turtles or fish?

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    thanks, i moved em back into the riverlake.
    wirenet traps are for catfish. about four feet long or so bout a foot wide round tube made of concrete reinforcement wire (hog pen wire) covered in one inch netting with the throats made of the netting too.
    so much easier to use than slat traps but not legal everywhere.
    here in louisiana you can buy an endorsement on your fishing license for twenty bucks that allows you to use five recreational wirenets. five may not sound like much but when the cats are moving five nets will produce more fish than you want to clean.
    i decided to put them back in the riverlake as i dont want large debris caught in the current to tear them up.
    thanks

Attached Files:

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    i posted a reply to your question with pictures of the wirenets but it wont show up on the thread and when i try to repost the pix it says they are already in the thread???