Wireless Fishfinders

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by fraid_knot, Jan 22, 2006.

1. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Anybody ever use one?
    I can see where one would be handy for some of them holes I go to. Meybe I wouldnt lose so many hooks if I knew where that sunken studebaker was.;)

Looks like you can get either a pole mounted screen or a Dick Tracy type wrist watch.

I's just wunderin if anyone had used one before I go an waste good money I could be buyin hooks with.

2. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Bought the wrist version Hummingbird a couple of weeks ago on clearance at BP. Was suprised at how good it worked. Just like using one on a boat. Will have to wait to see how it holds up. It put me on a school of crappie the first time out. Have been using it on small conservation lakes where you can't use a private boat.:)

3. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

Thanks Micus.

I did a search after I posted that and read a couple reviews. they said there was several lemons out there. I hope ya gotta goodern.
    I think it would be dang handy to see whats off the bank where I fish. also a few pits.

Thanks again.

Fraidknot/bob

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I bought a humminbird smartcast watch fishfinder. It worked fine the first three times I tried it, then the transducer went out. That's the week point of the system. While its in warranty, humminbird is supposedly pretty good about replacing the things, but they cost half the price of the system when you have to replace the transducer. I wasn't casting mine, had it attached to the side of my kayak, so it didn't hit tree stumps or anything. Traded it in for an Eagle Cuda 168, which Bass Pros now is selling for about $70, I believe.

5. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Well, I might be a little late posting this but I have one of the Smart cast wristwatches. If I were going to buy it again today I would spend more and get the rod mounted version. It's awkward trying to look at the watch while reeling in. This is my second unit. The first was returned to bass pro after two weeks in October. I didn't want to open the new one until I was ready to use it. I waited until the 70 degree day back in January to use it and the battery was dead in the watch. The RSS remote was also dead. I emailed Humminbird customer service and they replaced both the battery and the remote sensor. For me it does what I wanted or expected. I bought to locate changes in depths and to find deeper water when I fish. I don't have a boat so I fish the banks and I wanted to find the holes and structure quicker. It does that for me.

6. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I got the smartcast with about a 6"x6" screen it's the RF10, I got for xmas. I took it to the pond just to mess around with it, but seemed to be a good unit for the money. It has two channels,fish alarm(big fish,big and medium fish and all fish) also fish ID. I have two boats the pontoon has a fishfinder on it I wanted this for bank fishing and think it will do a good job for that purpose. Does anyone have this one and if so what do you think of it?

7. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    I went one model higher then you RIP. I got the RF15. It's got water temp, 4 level gray scale, two channel selection, and you can set the transducer to blink a LED inside of it so you can see where it's at night. I will admit it's hit and miss with the transducer though, I'm on my third one. The one thing I don't like is when you know the fish are there and they aren't biting. :sad:

8. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL
    I was thinking about buying a Matrix 47 3D to put on the boat and to take on the bank and Ice then add the weather sense, the GPS receiver and the smart cast wireless sonar link. Has anyone tried this system? It looks good for the capability and price.

The unit with all the add ons would be $850 bucks but it has 8000 watt peak to peak. You probably won't get that kinda power with out going to one of the one of the bigger models and they average over $1500.

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Could it be?==You have to keep the transducer dry while not in use.As long as the bottom is wet,or touching something conductive it is draining the internal battery.Dry it off and set or store it on a nonconductive surface as soon as possable after use.peewee-williams

10. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I took mine out again three or fore days ago I still like it no prob.Man I do'nt mean no harm by this but you look like that Charlie Moore guy. You know that bass fishing show Beat Charlie Moore. LOL