Wire Leaders

Discussion in 'Fishing Line Review' started by beshears, Apr 15, 2009.

1. beshears

beshears Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Has anyone ever tried wire leaders like the salt water fisherman use for toothy critters?

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Years ago, I used some for Northern Pike , but, haven't used any for awhile,, However, I found some last year in an old tackle box I hadn't used for a long time..

3. Cattn-Jeep

Cattn-Jeep New Member

State:
    NC
    The only type of wire that I use is on those pre-made bottom rigs with the egg sinker on them. I have a tendency to blow them apart after about 6 months when I cast them hard. I've never had one come apart with a fish on though.

4. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I use SPRO 80-100lb wire leaders on my carolina rigs which I use 99% of the time. It decreases a live baitfish's chance at rapping you up above the sinker.
    Most of my fishing buddies use mono leaders and I see no differences besides I dont get rapped up as much......Oh ya and I will be the one that gets to see the toothy critter that decides he wants my bait:wink:

5. Cathunter Pete

Cathunter Pete New Member

State:
    Fayetteville NC
    I've used wire leaders in the past, and no longer do because I've had fish break them at the swivel in the past, and if they kink, I've had them break. For a leader I use 50lb mono. In my experiences I don't like wire and won't use them. However for shark fishing, I will use 150 leader that you rig yourself with the little clamps.

6. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I do use them here in the saltwater, if I'm in a real rocky area in the freshwater, I'll use the stranded/coated leader material from Surflon. I seem to have good luck with them but I still use 30 to 50 lb mono leader material most of the time

7. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    I have used them for flatheads in rocky areas or rip rap areas where abrasion is a problem. They seem to be more durable than mono in those situations for me. Tight lines.

:cool2: