wire leaders - Are they a waste of time?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by brinley45cal, Jan 10, 2009.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    do any of you folks use these or they just a wast of time.ive never used them and was wandering what everyone elses comments and opinions are on using them,Thanks bro

2. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Sometimes I use em, 6" -12" not so much for catfish, but for walleye and northern. I don't use em for crappies and bass. Don't use em much on salt water fish either. If I was fishing for something with teeth that can cut my line I usually use one.

3. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    they may work well try them and see.bet the will not get cut on rocks

4. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I dont use them in freshwater, but I do use them for Kingfish when saltwater fishing. I think a good mono or flourocarbon leader works fine for catfish.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I would use them for species with major teeth like barracuda, sharks, pirhanas, and maybe musky. But for catfish, they are a was of time. Catfish are the least line shy of North American fishes.

6. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Man I have used em....seemed like I was catching alot of gar and sauger, so I used some "heavy duty" ones. Not a good choice though! I probably missed one of my bigger cat, because of one over the summer.

Fishing was slow over the summer and I was trying all kinds of different baits and rigs. One night I was fishing a whole stripper (2+ pounds). Pole double over I grabbed it and fought em for bout 10 secs before something broke. Pulled the line in and seen where the swivel broke, come to the conclusion it's just not worth the risk.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    In a lake where I know there is a Musky population I use wire leader. If fishing for Flat Heads using live bait like Bluegills and Suckers with musky around it only make good since cause you are appt to hook a musky as well.

8. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I would use them for Musky and Pike, but not catfish.

9. Lightnin_lane

Lightnin_lane New Member

State:
    tennessee/
    hey brother, i dont like to use the wire leaders b/c they tend to cut the cats in the corner of the mouth sometimes pretty bad. It tends to happen more on your bigger cats and since thats the ones that i "CPR" thats more of the reason to use a heavy mono instead. I have been using a 80 lb. mono leader and it works just fine. no cut on rocks, breakoffs, and NO PERMANANT SMILES ON THE FISH WE ALL LOVE TO CATCH. hope this helps brother

10. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't trust leaders that are put together by someone else other than me. If it breaks, that way I only have myself to blame.

11. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    You never know what is in the water. One of the first times that I used a wire leader I caught a 38" Northern Pike that is rare in So IN. The DNR later drained the lake & it was good bye Northern Pikes & Muskellunges.:angry:

12. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    great responses thanks alot you folks are a big help.

13. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Last yr I had a strike and in my heart I know I had a very big fish on the end.....bigger then anything I have ever hooked it broke a 50lb wire lead like nuttin..... since then I have taken the advice of a old gent on here named Mac-I tie my hooks directly to my line like Centex said if it breaks then I have no one to blame but myself....I am speaking on cattin on the Sippi not dealing with nothing else and by god I aint had a failure since:wink: Catts specialey large cats can realey suprise you sometimes.....but thats just my two.....

14. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    About the only time wire leaders might be a must for catfishing is if you are using blood bait, then you can push the wire up through the blood cube to help it stay on a trebble hook better when baiting up.

15. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I wouldn't use a pre-made leader that has a swivel or is crimped, it will cost you a big fish sooner or later. A big cat can twist the swivel open or pull the wire out of the crimp.

16. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Thats so true!!!! Dont find out the hard way like I did. Mine actually broke the swivel itself. The lesser amount of items....such as swivels, the better off you are. Or at least when catfishing.

17. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah i do the same thing i tie the hook to the main line as well,i was just curious cause i found some around the house and i didnt know i even had them,now i know why i never used them.